Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YAMAHA TRB OPINIONS?????/6 string options?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hizzoner, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I am inspired by many of the postings on this site...seemingly great players and people....with international flavor too!

Wow if I had more money and time...., fatherhood, being a good husband, a teaching career, coaching.. golf, shooting, the gamut of excuses why I am not a better player is endless! But I am recommitting myself to learning how to read properly and working on my technique(quietly in the basement while my daughter is asleep!).

After some time being fascinated by Mr. Patitucci's playing, especially on Elektric Band stuff, I am looking to get educated on six string bass and basses...TRB 1006 seems appealing and semi-affordable-around $900 new. How is the quality... ? Not too much info on this model in previous searches.....

I have always played more prog rock/metal stuff through a 4 string Fender GL Jazz and a 75-PBass(possible FS/FT) with bright sounding roundwounds...but am intrigued at expanding my playing style and range....

I have read previous posts about basses beyond 5 strings, but many of those basses are beyond my price range and needs- I am not in a working band, and unfortunatley the prospects of being in one are looking rather bleak in the short term.....boo hoo. So I do not NEED a $2000 dollar bass(WANT)

Any TRB or 6 string players out there????????????

I have medium sized hands, so any suggestions on OTHER brands or models in that range as well???????

2. I had a TRB-5II. A very nice bass- well made, very playable & 'fit' me very well. I'm 6'2" but don't have large hands(no jokes, unless they're clever) & again, a very comfortable player, for me. I didn't care much for the preamp- a common gripe, I think. The range of boost goes well past 'usable' IMO. Also, no active bypass,which sucks when your battery dies mid-song. At that point you must unscrew the control cavity cover(the groove is dead now)to install a new one. Newer models may have active bypass, easier access to the battery, or both. I sold mine to pay for a Ken Smith 6- or maybe I was going back to Warwicks. Either way, I liked the bass, & if newer ones address my 'issues', I'd be tempted. I keep looking out for an old 34"scale(which I prefer)fretless 6.

3. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I love Yamaha basses. In the 80s, I liked the tone Richard Page (of Mr. Mister at the time) got from the BB3000 and BB5000 he played, and I've stuck with Yamaha since. Patitucci's tone and great playing have helped keep me a fan.

I've also got a TRB5-II. It might be a little newer, 'cause it's got a separately accessible bore for the 9V battery, which is just a click-lock, no screws. But that's neither nere nor there - I agree that a bass should have a defeat for the preamp so that you can run passive in the need to do so.

It's a great bass. I got it on eBay for $400. It has a nice spanky tone, great for the funk and jazzy rock stuff I like to play. They've used a few wood combinations through the years. Mine has a maple 5 piece neck with a rosewood fingerboard (acually the three big pieces are maple, the two thin ones are something dark - rosewood also maybe?). The body is swamp ash stained an unfortunate blue/turquoise color - the swamp ash sounds great, but I'm not crazy about the color.

I agree that the preamp is a bit questionable, and generally keep mine close to flat. Plus, the electronics are very proprietary Yamaha, and the pots are soldered directly onto the preamp's circuit board - not typical at all. If I need new ones - and I do, mine have worn out and I can't feel the center click on any of them - I have to get special ones from Yamaha. I'm actually thinking about replacing the preamp with an Aguilar OBP-3.

But enough of the techy specifics. Yamaha makes great basses - I also had a BB1600 a long time ago, which I loved and played into the ground. TRBs are quite heavy, so be warned, but aside from that, you could do much, much worse.

-Will

4. - my TRB-5II was not heavy at all.
    Also, I second the motion for the OBP-3. Got one in my Stambaugh. Sweeet.

5. I have a TRB5P and it is heavy but I like it alot. Great quality and tone

6. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have 2 TRB's. Bolt on 4 and a neckthrough 6. Both from the early 90's. I'm obsessed. The 4 is very balanced and light, sounds fantastic and is a breeze to play. The 6 is heavy as all hell, needs a new preamp, plays rather well, has a massive sound, almost as huge as it is heavy. I am very attached to both basses. They have SOOOOO much character and are some of the best looking basses out there in my opinion.

7. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    [​IMG]

i Found my John Patitucci used for $900

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I love my Gumby. I have a TRB5P-II, and it may be the best bass I own (see profile for comparison). The fit and finish are superb, and the tone is rich and full. Just a beautiful bass. And it weighs only a ton.

9. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    dont buy a TRB,
    then i will have less competition when buying more of them :)
    i bought a trb 6p fretless (defretted) for 900 cdn.

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    One thing I like about Yamaha 6-string basses is that they have dual truss rods. IMHO, a 6-string's neck is too wide for just one rod. Also, Yamahas tend to be of good quality across the board from the cheapest RBX170 to their TRB and signature models. My housemate has a Yamaha BB-series 5er and it's a pretty nice bass.

And what's cool is that getting an affordable sixer is easier than it was years back. Spector has the Legend 6, Peavey has the Fury 6, Ibanez has the SR506 and BTB 6s, ESP has the LTD B206, Carvins are said to be good...I play a Samick Fairlane 6er myself. Nice bass with dual truss rods. The neck and string spacing are narrower than your average 6-string, though.

And if you're not averse to buying a bass preowned, it's possible to get a good sixer at a nice price. Granted, it's not that easy to find preowned sixes since many don't take that plunge, but some who do end up getting rid of them perhaps because the neck was too wide or they just don't use the low B and high C.

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Speaking of how good Yamaha are across the board, comparing my girlfriend's RBX270 to my TRB's, the quality is apparent in all instruments. The TRB's are obviously excelent, but the humble RBX she plucks away on is some serious quality considering how much she payed for it. In fact, my guitarist plays a $500 (AU) Yamaha pacifica (quite good considering it's a budget-ish guitar) and my drummer is getting a Yamaha kit (ex Carter Beauford) and my band is about to get 2 powered Yamaha subs. I think there is something going on... Yamaha seems to know how to get things right, maybe not the first time all the time, but sooner or later.

12. I have a BB405 with Q-Tuners - it rocks. I'm a big fan of the TRB-5II-P and would pick one up in a heartbeat if one came my way.