Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB or Cort Elrcik Josh Paul

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lenko, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Hi guys!
    I'm still trying to find a new bass and since I can't find any used Peavey Cirrus for a nice price I'll probably choose between these 2. Their price is simillar and i like the sound fo both. I play a lot of different music - anything from jazz to disco or reggae...even hard-core.;)
    I also slap tapp and play solos, so I need a bass which could produce a lot of different sounds.
    Which of these two did you like better and why?
    I heard that Cort's preamp isn't the best, but I could change it anyway...

2. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    trb. how many strings do you want?

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    yeah, you could change it out, OR you could click the knob and make it passive~ that's versatility for ya~

4. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Either 5 or 6...I'm not really sure yet. But they should sound pretty much simillar, right? Both are made from the same woods, they have same eletronics etc.

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    i faced the exact same decision about 3 months ago. i ended up with the TRB.

The josh paul was really warm, and i liked the passive option, but it didnt really seem solid, and there was a little bit of a hum. i didnt like the natural color, and vomit green doesnt really do anything for me either. and i just dont like red. sound and looks wise, it was an outstanding bass. its definatley an eye catcher.

the TRB was solid. but that may be a problem for you. it has 6 neck bolts, so it isnt going anywhere. i like the fact thatthe 2 most important knobs (or the ones i use most) blend and volume are bigger than the EQ knobs. i chose the TRB because i got a kickass deal on it, a 54.29% discount :) the sound is amazing, so warm, and full bodied. im not saying the the cort wasnt warm, but it was close to being muddy. i can almost get a jaco type sound out of the TRB using the back pickup. i can get an amazing distorted sound using my ODB-3, aswell :) the bass sounds brilliant when recorded, and it had no hum what so ever. it has a bloddy wide neck, so that may be a problem. although i cvan dig in extremley hard without doing any damage, but i can also play really soft. i play in an acid jazz band, and putting the bass right up and playing near the neck, i can a tone rather similar to an upright.

the only grudge i have with the TRB is the fact that the srap holders arent that crash hot. mine are getting loose after having it for a little over 2 months.

buyt like i said, both are kickass basses :) PM me if u wanna know anything else about the TRB.

6. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Thanks, kirbywrx.:) Just what I wanted to know. How does slapping on TRB sounds like? Do you have TRB 6 string? How do you like B and C strings?

7. Hey Lenko,
    I owned a Josh Paul for a couple months and have played several TRB's. I think the TRB sounds more professional.

The Cort is a very good bass. SERIOUS playability! Great slapper! Very comfortable, and the one I had had beautiful figuring in all the woods. I would say the electronics were the weak point. If I would have kept the bass, I would have put in REAL Bart pickups and an Aguilar OBP3. That probably would have made a huge difference.

The Yamaha is already there as far as sound is concerned. Sounds more "pro". If you choose Yamaha, listen very carefully for hum, hiss or noise coming from the electronics. They're known for that.

Other factors: The Yamaha is 34" scale and the Cort is 35". Does that matter to you? Also, you'll probably get a better case with the Yamaha. There are more authorized dealers for Yamaha too in case you need to bring it in....

Hope this helps.

8. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
  9. How about that! 35"! I don't know the source of the noise problem - could be the grounding procedures they have to "isolate" the noise.

10. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Too bad I'm from Slovenia...shipping would cost waaay too much.:(

11. D'oh. I didn't even notice that.:( :oops:

12. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    No problem...most of the people don't even know where Slovenia is.;)

13. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Guilty. I'll take small eastern european countries for $100, Alex.:D

I'd also go TRB.

14. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Hiya,
    Saw the posts on the TRB - I've got a 5 string TRB and would have to say it's my favourite.

I really like the 35" scale neck (low B kicks out!), and the different tones you can get out of the EQ on it. Nice and comfortable to play too :) .

15. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    How does a TRB sound? Growly, or more hifi??
    Can some-one discribe it, or post soundclips??

16. TRB's are being deeply discounted a lot of places. I suspect that Yamaha has sold off its remaining TRB inventory, and that the TRB is nearing the end of its product life cycle.

I've played a TRB 6 and I liked it. TRB's are well made, but they look their age.

The Cort Elrick, on the other hand, has a more timeless appeal.

I would get the Cort Elrick, and drop in an Aguilar OBP-3. If I were still unsatisfied, I would drop in new Barts or other high-end pups.

17. This may be true, but AMS has the best prices I've seen...

18. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Heres my TRB. its 35 inch aswell :D tehre is no hum what so ever with it either.

Lenko- slapping is easier with the wide neck. thats why i love my TRB, it can take a beating and not be hardmed. the low B on it is amazingly solid, not muddy, and not loose. it also has killer mids. i have the EQ on my amp with cut mids, boosted bass & treble (smiley face) and on my bass i have 75% bass, 25% mids and 10% treble and i have a growling rumble. if i boost the mids a bit more i get a schweet funkish kinda sound.

heres my baby ive named chloe :)

[​IMG]

19. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    That's it!
    I'm ordering one now.:D