Yamaha TRB Series Any Good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Nov 2, 2000.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am trading a bass for a Yamaha TRB5F, a fretless 5-string. I only found limited information here, so I thought I'd get some opinions from the masses.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I haven't played a fretless, but I am since a while a happy owner of a '94 bolt-on TRB 5 fretted. It has been a very pleasant experience so far. It has a punchy and articulate tone, very clean but can give a really nice growl if you want to. Good B-string as well.

For the money it cost me (around $600), I think it was a steal.

The only problem I have is that the neck radius is huge, giving an almost flat fingerboard. It feels a bit odd in the beginning, but it's just a matter of technique really. And I think the input is rather misplaced and has a strange angle. Cranking up the treble gives a hissing background noise. But in all, this is a great bass, and I think I only could get a better bang-for-the-buck active five-string if I stole it.

[Edited by Oysterman on 11-02-2000 at 01:01 PM]
  3. I have a Yamaha TRB5II. Haven't looked for another bass since. Good Luck.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  5. Oysterman, I read your thread.
    The Yamaha TRB5II I have does it for me. Comfortable to play, good growl when I want it, mellow when necessary, and can slap/pop that sucker and wake people up -).

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think they are all pretty good, but the older ones with neck though contruction are definitely better - mostly because they used better woods - maple, mahogany etc. On the other hand - as I mentioned in a thread recently, they have started to make these again and in the previous thread, there were links to the Yamaha site which features these. I have played both the TRB5Fs - that is the II series and the original. I must say that I preferred the sound of the original over the II series and I nearly bought one, but it was sold, before I could get there.
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, the link wasn't meant for you in the first place - it was just intended as an FYI for rickreyn. You're welcome too, though. :)

I guess there should be no doubt in the neck-through construction being the better one for a fretless. If you get piezo's too, you have one hell of a bass! I'm not sure whether an ash body (as on the bolt-on models) does it for a fretless or not...

I discovered last night what great sustain my TRB 5 has. It almost frightened me, the tone just wouldn't die! Not sure whether I like it or not, I have to live with it anyway... oh, I know I could have worse problems! :D
  8. well, I picked up a 5 year old TRB6P earlier this year and I love it. it's a great gigging bass since I never worry about the neck with all those laminations and the dual truss rods. the pickups are strong and versatile and there's plenty of room between strings for all kinds of different techniques. I hope that helps. take it light,

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually there is doubt:D The problem I had with the II was the pickups and preamp, I think the earlier version were nicer. That's why I sold my TRB6II. Acoustically it sounded nice and it was a bolt-on. Plugged in it was a serious lightweight. This would be true regardless of the fret situation.
  10. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I also owned a neck through TRB6P that was a 95, it was probably one of the fineest instruments I have ever owned. And w/out a doubt was every bit as much of a bass as the Modulus Quantum six I am giging w/ now. Great sound and very versatile.
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Then why did you change it? :)