1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha TRB users?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FeelTheGroove, Apr 24, 2006.

1. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    So ive been looking into getting an active bass lately. Im a fan of Yamaha in general and I like the looks of the Yamaha TRB series, but never considered it because they only had 5 and 6 string models available and im a die hard 4 string player.

However I recently learned that Yamaha finally is making a TRB1004 4 string version. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=519174

But im having a hard time finding any TRB series bass in local stores. Does anyone here own/have played a Yamaha TRB? Would you recommend it or are there better options for active basses in the $600-800 dollar range?

2. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I honestly feel yamaha is pretty much the best you can get for the money (for the TRB series). I am a big fan of their sound. The TRB 4 is quite comfortable, great fast neck and a cristalline well defined sound make up a great package IMHO.

3. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    cool, thats what I was hoping to hear. Whats the neck like? Beefy, or more slim like a J-bass neck?

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I just bought a TRB1005! Don't know why I never thought to try one out before! Bassdom's best kept secret! Well, not really a secret but for the money, you get a really nice instrument! The neck is not chunky at all! Standard string spacing but slim profile! Extremely easy to play!

5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Time for me to chip in. My first bass was (and still is) an early 90's trb4, the one before the trb4II (well duh) and has the "slap" cutaway. The neck on it is probably the slimest you can get without getting uncomfortable and has a nice contour, I would say that the nut spacing is somewhere between a P and a J. The body is smallish and overall doesn't weigh a whole lot. It's a pretty damn good bass, but could do with some different electronics and pickups for sure. I should also add that mine is made of ash, has jazz pickups, and doesn't have a lam top, but does have an ash veneer on the headstock.

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    they have always made the 4 string version, here is some proof:

http://basscentre.com.au/uploadedFiles/1125044084281-5263.jpg