Yamaha TRB vs TRB-II differences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hello everyone,

This is not about the TRB-P series.

Question about the TRB vs TRB-II. I recall that they are both MIJ, with soapbar pups, 3-band eqs, 35" scale, but I'm trying to remember what is different between the two. Anyone recall?

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Why don't you head over to your storage facility and pull out a couple examples of each.
    I'm sure that it will all come flooding back :D

Quadzilla likes this.
  3. Quadzilla

Ha! I wish!

4. Quadzilla

So after a little digging, I found this (via Google):

Brand name:
    YAMAHA
    Product: bass guitars
    Series name:
    YAMAHA TRB SERIES
    Dates of manufacture:
    1998 to 2007
    The TRB 4 II was introduced in 1998, as an update to the original TRB 4. The TRB 4 II has has since been discontinued. The 4-string TRB4 II has a rosewood-on-maple neck, ash body, ergonomic cutaway and neck joint, and bottom-anchoring brass bridge. The differences from the original TRB 4 include a pair of humbuckers (2 active single coils with dummy coils), 35 inch scale length (an inch longer than the TRB4), and active electronics with accurate three-band EQ. Finish options were: Amber Burst, Translucent Blue Burst, Magenta Burst. Its recommended retail price, when new, was $1600.
    Source: yamaha.com

5. Coïncidence : I received a TRB6II today (NBD on it’s way when I get home). From what I read :
    -TRB 34” single coil pups
    -TRBII 35” single coil plus phantom coil. I read also that a trim pot could be turned so that the pup act as humbuckers (true/false ?).

Quadzilla likes this.
  6. Quadzilla

Hmmm, I'd be interested in hearing it that's true.

7. I tried to find the original post but no luck. The post I refer to said that with the trim pot on one side the pickup was using second coils as phantom coils but when fully turned the pickup was set as humbucker. Other posts that I found since state that the trim pots tune the phantom coils compensation around a center position. I'm inclined to believe this second theory because I guess by now everybody would have found out about the humbucker setting. There also may be a confusion between TRBxII and TRB100x at some point (are the preamps the same ? I don't know).

8. Quintessence

Quintessence Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Syracuse, NY
    I’d be particularly interested in hearing people’s subjective experiences with the two (as specific as possible). I’ve seen a few posts suggesting that many like the original TRB series more than the TRB II series, and I’m wondering what makes that the case. I think some of the specifics I’ve heard basically boil down to people not liking the 35inch scale length, not liking the narrower 18mm spacing, and not liking the preamp as much in the TRB II series.

I recently bought a TRB 5II that has a Schaller bridge with adjustable spacing (currently set just over 19mm), and I’m considering putting in Bartolini pickups and a new preamp (considering Glockenklang, Pope Flex Core, and John East Uni Pre, among others).

I’m trying to figure out whether I’m going to mod this bass or wait until a TRB 5 pops up for sale and get that to do my mods. One part of that decision is figuring out if people think a TRB 5II with equivalent string spacing and a new pre would still be at a disadvantage to a stock TRB 5 in tone and/or playability.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Are you talking about fours? I don’t think you are a five string guy.

10. Quintessence

Quintessence Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Syracuse, NY
    Based on my reading, I’ve heard people mention the following differences (#1, 2, and 4 are mentioned in your Google post):

1. Scale length (34inch on TRB vs 35inch on TRB II).

2. Pickup type (single coil on TRB vs dual coil (single + dummy/phantom coil) on TRB II.

3. 19mm string spacing on TRB vs 18mm on TRB II.

4. Preamp had a 3-position mid on TRB vs continuous mid on TRB II.

11. TRBs have a phantom coil too, but it operates differently than TRBIIs. I think TRBIIs pups are compatible with third party preamps but it must be check with preamp vendor (I'm not sure they're aware of this difference between first and second gen). TRBs you have to change both preamp and pups.

I don't have much experience with TRBs (though I actually setup and and did some minor electronics repair on one), but my opinion is that it's all about scale length. I love the sound I get from my TRB6II (not just the B string) and I'm not sure you get that on a TRB first gen.
    I also thought of changing preamp+pups, but really I'm not sure I won't miss the original tone. Money set aside, I'd buy a second TRB6II and mod it.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022