Yamaha TRB VS Yamaha RBX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 29, 2002.

1. TRB

25 vote(s)
  2. RBX

5 vote(s)
  1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    In more detail,

The RBX 765A :

Versus the Yamaha TRB4II:

(5-String version of this)

OK now for MY low-down:
    I think the RBX would be best, because it is cheaper, has a deeper cut out, and it just appeals to me. The TRB, is more expensive, but it sounds better (I would think). It looks like a Spector/Warwick and has a wider variety of colors.
    I play mostly metal and punk, but I'm leaning towards Metal/Alternative/Rock more. I down tune to Eb and D alot.
    Here are the specs from the Yamaha book:

Construction Bolt on
    Scale Length 34" (863.3mm)
    Fingerboard Rosewood
    Radius 23-5/8" (600mm)
    Frets 24
    Body Alder/Ash Laminated
    Bridge Die Cast
    Pickups Double Coil x 2
    Controls Active 4 Control
    Colors Translucent Blue, Trans. Green, Trans. Red

Construction Bolt on
    Scale Length 35" (889mm)
    Fingerboard Rosewood
    Radius 20" (500mm)
    Frets 24
    Body Ash
    Bridge Solid Brass
    Pickups Double Coil x 2 (Alnico V)
    Controls New Active 3 band EQ
    Colors Amber Blue, Translucent Blue, Magenta Burst

If you want to know why I put so much effort into this thread, its because I really want your honest opinions.

Any other Yamaha's I should go for/look at. What you you all think of these basses? Yay or Nay? Thanks people
  2. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Hey KIrby
    Strange you post this thread as i just happen to have a Yamaha RBX760A home for the night , green one , First ill just say that it has nothing on my Washburn XB800 , a similar sort of tone [ kinda ] , but absolutely no balls in comparison .
    My Likes , gold hardware , lightweight , clipoff battery cover [ for when you have to change it every SIX MONTHS OR AYEAR] ,tuners each side of the headstock , body finish , access to the truss nut
    My Dislikes , white nut [ looks cheap ] , barrell type saddles , [ i prefer the chunky square ones ] ,
    agressive knurling on the control knobs [ looks agricultural ] , the green stain ir running a bit over the side of the headstock [ looks bad ] .
    Overall for the price its a great bass , it sounds better than my top of the line [ in 1990 ] soundgear which the police returned to me after being stolen , although the neck on the Yamaha feels like a train track in comparison , if youve got the money look at the other Yamaha , see if you can get them both home though for a night and play them on your own gear in the relaxed surroundings of your own home , then make a decision [ or not ] , good luck ! . p.s , i think it sounds better than a Warwick Streamer Standard i tried anyway
  3. the TRB and RBX are on VERY different price and quality ranges iirc..
  4. Both of my basses are RBX's, I have the 765A and the 260F.

The 765A is great for the price, but I've never played the TRB. Makatak is right about the neck though, it's pretty wide.
  5. Albemuth

Jan 13, 2002
    I have the 765A and I'm pretty happy with it, plays good, sounds good, the B isn't as tight as I'd like put I've been said it's 'cause of the strings, great for the price I guess.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I've mentioned before about the new TRB5P - which is an excellent pro-quality bass. Nick Fyffe of Jamiroquai is using one and I've seen a few other pros in the UK using them.

I've tried a couple of these in shops and been very tempted - thorugh-neck, exotic woods, piezos in the bridge which has separate components for each string. Great sound and wonderfully playable flat neck!

Whereas the RBX is just an entry-level "cheapo"!
  7. TRB all the way. The RBX are too much along the line of Entry level basses. I think the TRBs rule, especially if you get new electronics in them, which i did when i had mine, mainly cos the others were noisy.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    RBX has nothing to compare to the TRB!

also if you are going to detune a lot you might find the TRB's 35' scale very useful...

you might want to save up for the TRB or get a Used TRB... in the end is up to you and what makes you happy.
  9. I've never played a TRB and I've owned my 765A for almost a year. I must say I really like my RBX. It hasn't failed me yet. As long as the strings are of high quality you should get a pretty tight B. I have new DRs on there and it's just as tight as any bass. Nothing on it is bad. I'd say everything is decent(sp?). If you're on a budget then the basses it is competing with aren't as good as the RBX. I really like mine. PM me if you have any questions.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What - somebody just voted on a poll that is over a year and half old!! :rolleyes:

11. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I never played a TRB but i owned an rbx 765.
    I'll have to say the rbx was great, nice slap tone and a good low end, Low b was tight.
    Good for metal and heavy stuff in general

hope that helps

12. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Bruce I'm also starting to see a lot of players in Gospel music use the new TRB6 when quite a few of them were using Tobias/Ken Smith and rightfully so because the new TRBS'sound is much more focus and tighter than the previous TRB models.
    The RBX IMO is not a bad sounding bass for the price not that I would want one but nonetheless it is a good bass if that's what you like
  13. Hey Phil

Is this jsut for interest sakes?? because i thought you just got the TRB??
  14. ooppps my bad...your post was last year...sorry
  15. Definitely the TRB.

The TRB's are being closed out and deeply discounted by some of the big internet retailers -- like to the tune of 50% off.

Which makes me wonder if Yamaha is going to introduce a new TRB series, or simply let it die.

But then they go and introduce the new John Patitucci model (TRBJPII), so I don't know.

The TRB series is absurdly overpriced. It also has weak electronics problems.

To say "it's a really good place if you replace the electronics" is like saying "it's a really good car if you replace the engine."

Yamaha is one of the largest instrument manufacturers in the world. They have a reputation for making a quality product. Sometimes I think their products come close to the mark without quite hitting it. (A camel is a horse designed by a committee, etc.). The new Nathan East basses might sound o.k., but they are not very attractive.
  16. I have an RBX170, It's a nice bass too. But i've only had it for two days. I tried some of the higher end RXB's and i thought they were quite nice, but i've never tried a TRB. So i can't say anything about them.... since i'm getting all kinds of nice 404 errors on that trb picture i'll put up a pic that works ...

this is the TRB5II since it seems your talking about 5 strings.

17. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    haha, yes, this thread has been brought back to life. oh yeah, i ended up getting the TRB. :)