1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha TRB1005 Wiring Schematic... Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jc575, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Jc575

Jc575

Feb 18, 2002
    Whitestone, NY
    Hey all!

I recently picked up a new TRB1005 and I wanna replace the preamp. I'm ready to install an OBP-3 in it, but I'm not sure which wire is which on the pickups. They are 4-wire pickups (2 black, a red one, and a white one). I assume the black ones are ground, and the red one is hot, but im not sure. Also, shouldn't one wire be going tho the 9v batt lead as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    JC

2. OliverH

OliverH

Aug 2, 2008
    Sorry I don't have any assistance for you, all I can offer you is this off-topic post...

You say *new*... how did you get a new TRB1005 when they have been discontinued? I was dreaming about getting them last year but only got around to ordering one at the start of this year. One place took a $200 deposit, then refunded it a few days later when they couldn't get it. Another place took a $1000 deposit (the list price was over $2000 in Australia), assuring me that a Yamaha representative was in their shop and he assured them they could get it but it would take 5 months to build and ship.

Two months later they email back and say sorry we can't get it, here's your money back. In the end I tried out a 2000 CIJ Fender Jazz Fretless '64 reissue or something, fell in love with it and bought it on the spot with the deposit money I'd gotten back, but I'm still peeved about not getting the yammy.

Maybe I just got screwed because I'm in Australia and I wanted the fretless model, and the rest of the world is laughing at me while they enjoy their brand new TRB1005's. Well, enjoy it and best of luck to you - it is a beautiful instrument.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Have they been discontinued? I didn't know that!

4. Jc575

Jc575

Feb 18, 2002
    Whitestone, NY
    They may have discontinued it, but the one I purchased was new from billsmusic.com.

Anyway, I just wanna swap out the pre, and I wanna hookup the pickups the right way.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

None of the sites I've seen say it's discontinued. It's still on Yamaha's website as a current product.

6. I also thought about installing a new Preamp/EQ for my TRB 1005. I had chosen the Glockenklang 3-Way Onboard EQ, but the Pickups in the TRB that look like Humbuckers are Single Coils (BTW the same as in the Nathan East Signature Bass) combined with an additional Dummy Coil for each Pickup. And these Dummy Coils are connected to the green Plate with all the Soldering Points...(don´t know the Name in English) I wouldn´t know where to connect these Dummy Coils in a new Onboard EQ ??? So i think about keeping it Original and only replace the one broken Treble Poti, wich was initial thinking about a new Onboard EQ

7. Musician's Friend, among other vendors, has them in stock.

8. Got the Wiring Diagramm. Here it is.

Wiring Diagramm

It´s from the Yamaha NE-II bass, but its the same 3-Way EQ, except the Mid-Shift, but also the Yamaha Q-Mix