Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB1006 thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzucker, Mar 21, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Ok, I've read some of the previous threads about this bass...

Let me give you some background. I'm a jazz/fusion guitarist having played and taught jazz guitar for over 25 years. I've been playing bass seriously for a few months using on a Korean Lakland bass. This bass sounds great but I'm finding myself wishing i had some more strings. I'm considering a 6 string bass so that I can do more chordal and solo things.

My primary usage for the bass will be in laying down parts for original tunes but I would also like to use it for some jazz/fusion duo/trio things and I'm thinking that the extra strings will give me more to work with in terms of chordal voicings and solo stuff.

One thing i would want is fairly low action and good intonation all the way up the neck, allowing me to do solo lines in the upper register with good tone, etc...

There's a banged up TRB6 at a local store that they're asking about $800 for so I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting that or a new TRB1006. Unfortunately, nobody carries the 1006 in this area so I'd probably buy from musicians friend and return it if it's a dud.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    well from what i've seen the Yamaha 1006 isnt any more than $900. But then again I've found a John Patitucci Sig for $900. I know there is one on e-bay right now.

3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    BUMP. Wanna know myself.

4. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Where can I find a JP for $900?

5. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Depends on how beat up it is I suppose. Personally I'd rather TRB's than TRBII's and newer models. 1006 and 1005 looks much sexier though. TRB series and Yamaha in general is a good choice for articulation IMO. $800 is not a bad price but not a good price either. Best luck.

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    ...and Yamaha 6-strings come with dual truss rods, so you can better adjust the neck to get the action low.

I never understood why so many companies, including the big boys, still only use a single truss rod in their 6-strings. Those necks are too wide IMO for just a single rod to do the relief.

7. The 1006 is the new model which I am looking to get. I need a sixer for chords also.

I really want the 6PII but that is like a fodera or alembic at 3000.

8. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    IMHO the TRB is way better than the 1006, and I've heard many commenting the same. See if you can compare before you get a 1006.

9. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Well, I just spent an hour playing the TRB6 II at Sam Ash and didn't like it. I did not like the tone as much as my Korean Lakland. Perhaps the battery was dead or there was some other problem. The neck was also too wide.

I'm leaning now towards getting Matt Pulcinella to make me a bass...

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    just come down here to Miami,there are quite a few

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    :confused: try adding 3 or 4 more grand to the Fodera and the Alembic,but I feel what'ca saying.As for the bass itself the tones were decent,but the string spacing was too narrow for my taste.

12. I am in Tallahassee what other deals can be had on these basses. Who should I call for $900 JP?

13. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
  14. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Just to warn you, the John Patitucci bass has a wider neck than the other Yamaha 6-strings. If you found the TRBII too wide, then skip the Patitucci.

16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I've only tried the tRB1005 but I found that the electronics were nowhere near as open and clear sounding as the TRB5II. A while back I was playing a Bongo and was really marvelling at the sounds out of the 4-band preamp with dual humbuckers. I picked up a TRB1005 as a comparison (because I'm pretty familiar with the TRB5II sound) and thought it sounded like a transistor radio in comparison.

Also, the TRB1005 had narrower string spacing than the TRB5II (don't know what it's like on the 6).

I think the Lakland Skyline electronics are far superior (I've got a 55-01) to the TRB100X series, but just my opinion.