Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB1006 versus Spector Legend 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbengoa, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Hi there,
    I have to buy a 6 string pretty soon and i checked these two models... Could you tell me what you think about them. Im pretty lost... :s

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Yamaha would get my vote. String spacing is the wide 19mm on yam and 16.5mm on Spector, so to some that is a deciding factor.

I would say go for the Spector if you want a brighter tone with tight spacing, or go for the Yamaha if you want more versitility and wide spacing. The B and C strings sound better on a yamaha to me.

3. The TRB6-II (the predecessor model to the TRB1006) was a very high-quality instrument with a very versatile sound that would probably go over in just about any genre. The electronics were a bit noisy, but I'm sure Yamaha has cleaned that up. The neck is very wide and not terribly thick, which may or may not be your bag--it certainly isn't mine.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    the spacing on the Legend is wider than 16.5, it's 17 or 18. I was considering the Yamaha when I was looking for a 6, and IMHO the Spector blew it out of the water, it just felt much more solid, and the spacing is plenty wide for me, it's wider than on ym Carvin. I know alot of cats here dig Yamaha, the ones I've tried including the JP haven't impressed me unfortunately, I'd really try to get my hands on both before buying if I were you.

5. Yeah, I wish I could. They're not available en Chile, my country. So Igot relatives goin to USA and theyre buying one of them. Just im not quite sure wich one... so help plz XD

6. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    oye, bassbengoa !
    mmmh, chile. cherimoyas and machas, not to forget pisco sour ;-)
    i had the trb6, which is/was the older brother of the 1006. sounded very good, played extemely well...so, why did i sell it ? the 35" scale was killing me, and the wide string spacing too. i loved it initially, but sometimes playing for a longer time, my pinkie would go numb and kinda "paralyzed" (especially when we played faster stuff, mahavishnu covers and sorts). i went for a used sr1306 and i´m happy with it. i can do 6+ hours commercial gigs with it and break no sweat.
    can´t give you advice on the spector though, never played one.
    but the workmanship and sound of the yam were excellent, also the built in electronics+pu´s were ok. so if big and long is for you, you´re gonna like the yam.

have some mote con huesillo for me,
    cheers,
    lowstar