Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha trb1006 vs rbxjm2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remedylane, Jul 18, 2005.

1. remedylane

remedylane

Jul 18, 2005
    Hi folks :D

I was thinking of changing my crappy 4 string bass and getting a 6 string one.
    I currently have two main choices, Yamaha trb1006 and Yamaha rbxjm2. Anyone tried both basses and is willing to give me an advice?

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If you're committed to Yamaha, get the TRB. You don't want to be a fanboy noob.

At the same price, you can probably pick up two used Carvins.

3. remedylane

remedylane

Jul 18, 2005
    Thanks for you reply :)

You're saying that the rbx is too much overrated?

4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Not sure what the Yamahas or Carvins feel like first hand. I'm in the process of acquiring a Peavey Cirrus 6. The neck felt great but I did find the string spacing a bit tight. I'll be spending some time at home with it getting used to this before I play out with it. I'm only playing 5ers now but I hope this Cirrus won't be too hard to get used to. Ever try a Cirrus yourself?

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm saying there's a stigma attached to that sig. bass.

6. remedylane

remedylane

Jul 18, 2005
    Anyone else has an advice? :)

7. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    what;s wrong with signature basses. after all, the les paul is a signature guitar which many failed to realize.

8. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I played both and I even owned both for a while. They are a budget choice for a first 6 string bass. I perfer TRB1006 because you can get more sounding from that bass. it is pretty fexible! But it is depends on what style of music you play. :D I hope this help!

P.S. They are both narrow spacing 6 string bass IMO as I'm now using a 20mm USA Curbow 6 string.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The TRB has narrow string spacing? Ever try the Patitucci model? Not narrow by any means. Does the TRB1006 have the same neck profile?

10. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    the rbxjm has really tight spacing, which could be an issue when switching from the 4 string. between those 2 basses, i'd recommend the trb. but i'd also second the comment above, try out the cirrus 6 string!

11. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    TRB1006 has different neck profile.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez, why make 2 basses with the same neck profile. The whole essence of the TRB was the wider neck profile! Gah!

13. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    TRB!!!!! I am, however, completely biased.

14. remedylane

remedylane

Jul 18, 2005
    Thanks a lot everyone :)