1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha TRB4 Mk1 Electronics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quenbrad, May 3, 2006.

1. quenbrad

quenbrad

Mar 4, 2005
    London, UK
    Hi all,

I was wondering if any fellow TRB'ers could help out.

I've just bought an original mid 90's TRB 4 off Ebay for about £200. Oh Yes!! I got the bass a few days ago and am very pleased with it. A worthy addition to the collection. One thing though is that the output is very low. Much lower than my passive American P bass. Also the treble and bass boost/cut controls hardly make any difference to the tone. Very, very subtle. Honestly, I had to really concentrate to hear which way to turn the knobs to get boost or cut. I've installed a new battery but this hasn't helped.

I know that the output and tone shaping is going to be more subtle than a modern active bass but I was kind of expecting a little more than I've got.

Is this expected from a Mk1 TRB? Anything I can do to improve things? Does this sound like a fault (excuse to throw in some Bartolini's :D )

Thanks in advance....

2. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    My TRB from '92 has an output level trim in the control cavitiy. I'm not sure if yours is the same, but if it has the mid selector thing with 3 knob positions (the mid eq knob) then I'm almost certain you can adjust the output. Sweet bass by the way. Mine was my first bass ever and still my number one.

3. quenbrad

quenbrad

Mar 4, 2005
    London, UK
    Hey James. Mine is indeed the one with the 3 position eq knob. Made in 1996.

I've adjusted the levels using the dials in the control cavity. The output has definitely increased and I've now set the 3 band eq to where I want it. Sounds fab.

I'm still getting almost zero tone control using the external eq knobs though. I guess the pots may be knackered out but for the time being it sounds great.

Thanks for your help.

4. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Any time dude. Hey what colour is your bass? Mine has a natural ash body with a matching headstock and a rosewood board. Do you like the sound of your bass? I have found it's hard to get anytyhing more than a very "modern" sound, which isn't all that bad, but it's not cool if you want something else. I must say though, they play rather well.

5. kpaxonbass

kpaxonbass Banned

May 2, 2006
    I've got a 1996 TRB6 that I bought new. I don't play it much these days because I'm doing harder rock. Anyways, open up the control cavity and there should be two pots inside you can adjust that will drastically affect your eq controls sensitivity.

6. quenbrad

quenbrad

Mar 4, 2005
    London, UK
    Thanks for the advice. These pots inside the control cavity have definitely improved things.

7. quenbrad

quenbrad

Mar 4, 2005
    London, UK
    Mine is transparent turquoise blue colour with matching headstock. I'm not that keen on the colour but it sounds and feels good enough for the colour to be ignored.

I know what you mean about the modern sound. I don't think it's a particularly versatile bass but what it does is great. I was looking for a modern, growly jazz bass type sound with balls and I think the TRB fits the bill perfectly.

I just got back form band practice which was the first time I got to try the TRB at decent volume. Very happy. Especially for £200. In the UK £200 quid will just about buy you a new squier jazz bass and a spare set of strings.

8. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Those basses do not exist yet :D