Yamaha TRB5P Bliss

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Jan 1, 2005.

1. I got a Yamaha TRB5P in a TB trade and I'm quite impressed. The fretboard is quite wide which led me to ponder trading on to something else. But the more time I spend with this bass the more I think it just may be a keeper. Excellent workmanship, great set-up right off of the UPS truck, and many many usable tones. Any other happy Yamaha TRB campers out there? Thanks
  2. Yep! My TRB6 (Mk I) is my main bass, and I absolutely love every aspect of it (except maybe the weight, but even that isn't too bad).
  3. i`m a yamaha trb6p early model owner.A fine bass and would reccomend others give it a try
  4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've always loved the sound and feel of these basses, but the body shapes and colors are rather ugly IMO. Too bad.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I'am a big fan of the TRB5P.
    These a very underrated bass.
  6. I have a Yamaha TRB5FII (fretless) and am very happy with it.

p.s. The one pictured on my avatar is a J.P. signature model which I sold about4 months ago.
  7. Yes it seems pretty underated to me. I don't have alot of high end experience but I'd put it up against my old 55-94 in terms of quality and playability and tone too! I'm cool with the color (Natural flamed maple top) and I never gave the body style a second thought. But to each their own.
    On my control layout it seems to be Vol, Blend, Bass, Treb, Piezo blend and a little switch. Well the piezo blend works no matter which way the switch is switched. So I guess the switch is a boost?? Can anyone clarify that?
  8. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Hell yes!! I have been an avid fan for the last 3 years when I was lucky enough to get my first bass that just happened to be a TRB-4, an old bolt on version with the 3 eq presets where the mid knob would normally be. I would marry it if it were human. Then about 6 or 7 months ago I got an early 21st present, which is my TRB6-P, 1992, in a beautiful prawn/shrimp orange. The flame maple all over the place really adds to the prawn vibe. But I love the dam nthing. Wide spacing, just the way I like it, great sound with some amp eq, although I can't stand the stock preamp. In fact I hate it. I'm going to reaplce it with a bartolini or something along those lines so I can cut some mids without having to do it on my amp. Other than that, it has taken over the 4 as my main bass recently. Everyone notices it and loves it and complimnts me on how good it sounds and good it looks. So yes, huge fan right here.
  9. I just put a used trb6p fretless on layaway. It has a great neck, great string spacing (very wide) and it sounded better then the warwick 6 string fretless corvette i was also considering. The only downside is it doesn't have the great looks of the warwick :meh: but it's still an amazing bass (mine's teal and neck through as well)
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a shot of my TRB5P-II. It is a superb instrument, second in construction, tone, and playability to none of my other basses (see profile).
  11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I currently play Cirrus 5 & 6 strings as my main instruments.
    I love everything about them except....the narrow string spacing.

The TRB Yamahas seem to be nice and wide.
    How would you say they compare/differ from the Cirrus?
  12. cfl

Apr 20, 2002
    Hi, First post

Owned my natural finish trb5 since 1997 when I got it for $990 new in Overland Park, KS. Last february I dropped Bart Pups and Preamp in it. Nice sound but needs shielding now.

As far as playability it has a wide neck but seems to play faster and easier than my RB5. Sometimes I have doubts about changing electronics but for now am waiting to get shielding to make another decision. Originally I tried a trb5II preamp in it and that did'nt work, seemed incompatible with the pups. I have thought about a different preamp but that's going to wait.

I own three 4-strings and three 5-strings and go thru periods where I have favorites. Recently bought a new b2r head and am getting more use out of my trb5 lately. Also own a charcoal trb5f that's my only fretless. It gets used but not as much. Needs to be played to develop some character.

My trb5 is definately a keeper, my first so called boutique looking bass. Even from my limited experience w/ b-strings it has (for me) a focused and tight 34in scale fifth string. I owned a trb5II shortly and was not as satisfied with it as the mkI model. Hope this info sounds interesting.

13. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the tension of the B on the TRB6P (early 90's 34" scale model) I own a 35" scale Yamaha RBX775 (the best RBX) and know someone selling a TRB6P but I'm conserned that the B may be floppy due to the 34" scale (but cannot test the bass since it's not in this contry - I either ship it and buy it or leave the bargin).

I love the Yamaha feel and after getting a Warwick Streamer LX 6 string fretless last summer have decided to upgrade my fretted bass to a 6 string modle (preferable neck thru). (I would love a 6 String Warwick fretted but alas money is not on my side, as a student)
    Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!
  14. Manjibunga, that is a great line-up of basses. I'm impressed that the TRB holds it's own among those axes. How do you decide which one to play??I don't think I'd ever leave the house if I had that collection at my fingertips.

Phatbastard, I'm not sure how it compares to the Cirrus. The only bass I've played that reminds me of the TRB spacing is a Roscoe 3005. It's WIDE but somehow very playable. It's not as fast as some other 5's though which impacts my approach like say a P vs. a Jazz. I was kicking around trying to trade my TRB for a Cirrus. I'm just so impressed with everything about the TRB that I don't want to pull a dumb-guy-move before I give the wide neck a fair shake.

CFL welcome to Talk Bass!

TvBBass, I can tell you that my 5 is not floppy at all as I mentioned it reminds me of my 55-94 which of course is a 35 in scale. I measured my TRB just to make sure it was a 34!
  15. I owned few of Yamahas incl. BB NE 1 and experienced many more of that. Most of them is giving you a satisfaction grooves.
  16. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I love TRBs. A friend of mine who has had decades to collect gear bought a used TRB5 in a pawn shop for something like $200 one time. After a year of playing he was down to only that and a Lakland 55-94, and the last time I talked to him he'd shelved the Lakland.
  17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    That would be Mungibunga and PhatBasstard BTW.....;) ;):D

What TRB do you have? If I can find one to try, and like it, my Cirrus will probably go bye bye (future trade bait????). The narrow spacing is really starting to bug me since I have large hands.
  18. Spelling error!.. Sorry 'bout that! I have the TRB5P. The pics are too big to post I could e-mail you a few so you can get an idea.
  19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Is it the 34" or 35" scale? Neck-through or bolt? Pix would be good. Email directly to PhatBasstard@Prodigy.Net .

Interested in a Walnut/Bubinga Cirrus 6 ?
  20. Phatbasstard, isn't there supposed to be a .com or.net at the end of that e-mail address? Another question, do you run across more used geas at better prices in Vegas due to the ebb and flow of people winning and losing? Just wondering if that has any effect on the market.