Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yamaha TRB5P(piezo) II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lucfor, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Hi,
    I have just tried the TRB5p II in a shop and I was amazed. The sound is incredible, and the piezo are great for tapping (it was the first time I was trying piezo, though). The only thing is that the neck is big. It is a neck through, but not slim at all. What do you think of this bass? It was on sale for only $1.350 (new)!!!!!!! I am thinking of buying it, but I am scared of the neck. Damn, it's a hard decision. I have found the sound I really want, but it might be a mistake to hope to adapt to the neck of this bass. What do you think? (I promise that I'll decide with my mind, though).
    Thanx!!

Luca

2. Just not to let it fall down.
    Your opinion is welcome!!

3. just to tell ya, i've been posting stuff about a
    TRB-5 that i hope to get in a couple months, and nobody here in talkbass responds to the Yamaha TRB-5 threads i post.

:(

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tried one of these in shop a few days ago and it was very good - I didn't want to stop playing it! Certainly the best sounding and playing bass in the shop. I found the piezo thing wasn't that useful - just added noise - but the overall contruction and playability were fantastic for a production bass.

I have also seen Laurence Cottle - who is a great UK Jazz bassist playing one of these at a gig and he got great sounds out of it - very fluent solos!

I am also pretty sure that Nick Fyffe in Jamiroquai is playing one of these now - I have only seen him on UK TV - but it looks very much like one of these.

I don't think the wide neck is a problem as it is also very flat in profile - from front to back - I found this very comfortable.