Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB5PII.....Good bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, May 14, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, It's between a Stingray 5 or a Yamaha TRB5PII for my first 5 string bass. Could someone give me some feedback on the YAMAHA TRB5PII (The neck).
    How does the Neck compare to the Stingray? (The closer the better). Anyone have any idea of the Price? I'm thinking of the exact model Nick Fyffe uses.

Thanks.

2. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    TRB's neck is somewhat flatter and wider than Stingray. The Stingray neck has a silky feel, and I think the TRB does as well. Electronics are very different. The Stingray has a fatter sound with less highs available. The TRB tends to be crisper and crunchier. Both are pretty lively. IMO, the Stingray is better made and will hold its value better.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I may be wrong here, but if you're thinking about Nick Fyffe's model, you're talking about Yamaha's top of the line bass, thus, if you can get that model for the same price as the MM 5, well, you would be doing well.

The main thing is this: Play each and decide which sounds/plays/feels best for what you want it for. Each has different pickup configs (MM with the MM pickups, TRB with the soaps) and each has decidedly different construction (neck-thru vs. bolt-on, type of wood, body thickness, etc.). As such, each should give you a decidedly different sound.

For my money, I would say that the Yam (Nick's model) is more versatile overall than the MM.

If I remember correctly, Fyffe used to play a MM (and even recorded some of Synchronized with it) and was reluctant when someone gave him a TRB to try out in the studio. He let it sit around for a few days before someone finally convinced him to play it. Once he played it, he was hooked (ot so the story gooes - remember, he is an endorser, so stories like this aren't always true).

In the end, I'd put the names of the basses out of my mind and go with what gave me what I wanted.