Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB5PII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr P, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Mr P

Mr P

Feb 13, 2002
    Finland, Tampere
    Hello !

Does anyone have experiences with yamaha TRB5PII? I got American Jazz Bass but I feel like I´m a Neck-Thru man after all. It´s a bit expensive but it´s only money. Opinions?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've tried 2 or 3 examples in shops in London and they are great basses - fantastic sound and great to play. Maybe slightly heavy - but not too bad.

All the basses I tried were well made and looked great - they play very well in the higher register for soloing and the B string is great - I think the split bridge works very well and the piezos add clarity.

I know that Jamiroquai's bass player Nick Fyffe is using one and I saw him on UKTV getting some great tones out of it - just like Stuart Zender's sound on old tunes and his own take on funk for the newer tunes.

One of my favourite UK Jazz bassists has also started using one - Laurence Cottle - and I saw him play it at close quarters in my local Jazz club. He played some great solos and really grooved throughout, with this bass played straight (no effects) and flat through Euphonic Audio gear.

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've played one recently at a music store.

It plays very nice. Very fast!!! also has a really nice feel for plucking. I can see why abraham laboriel likes TRB's. It's fun on the fingers.

Good amount of sustain.

In my opinion would have a 3 band eq on it though but hey what can ya do. or maybe a different type of preamp or somthin

The 12th fret harmonics I found a little hard to get out of it but it may be because it needs a setup.

fret board is really flat and if you're into tapping this bass is a winner.

I didn't use the peizeo's much but hey it's a matter of opinion.

As for switching from an american deluxe to a TRB it's a big change!!!:oops:
    You're talking about apples and motor oil! totaly different scenario!

both have in my opinion a great bass tone for slapping but I think the trb is geared towards technical jazz, while the fender is an all round bass
    geared to a vintage tone (this would include jazz but on a less technical, I also say this is a good rock bass!) the reason why I say this is because there is a lot less effort for playing the TRB meaning you can play more.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The TRB5PII does have a 3 band EQ :

[​IMG]

SPECIFICATIONS
    Body Ash
    Neck Five piece Maple/Mahogany
    Fretboard Ebony
    Pickups Double-coil Alnico
    Hardware Gold
    Controls Pickup mic, balancer, piezo volume, master volume, 3-band EQ
    Frets 24
    Bridge Individual Solid Brass
    Scale 34"

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    my friend has that bass.
    he used to hate yamaha's until he played that bass.
    i LOVE it.
    i think dialing in some of the piezo makes it sound extra nice.
    beautiful bass. very playable.