Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB6 opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Hi. I know a person who's selling a TRB-6 for a great price, but I've never played one in person (I've been looking for a 6-string). I'm mostly looking for a bass that can hang in a jazz, '70's funk, +/or slap situation.

Would a TRB-6 fit the bill? It seems to work for Patitucci, altho' his bass is not a stock TRB-6, but a custom model.

Thoughts?

I'd have to sell a great bass (a custom fiver with a Modulus neck, bubinga body, and EMG pu's and electronics -- but ONLY 5 STRINGS!) in order to buy the Yamaha, so I want lots of input. . . .

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I think the TRB-6P, from the origional 1991 - 1996 production run, is the best production 6 string ever built.

The new TRB-6P II 's are OK but lack the quality of the origionals.

4. KillMary

KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    I have one of the first TRB-6JP from the 2nd run and I'm really happy with the quality, except that the pickups are a bit noisier than I'd like.
    Regular TRB-6s are very good basses too but I think they're a bit overpriced (they usually sell for like 1200 bux), considering they're not that fancy, and they're made in Korea. But I don't think you'll ever find a 6-string that is mure suited for slap than this bass. You should definitely check it out, if your hands get around the neck you might have found what you're looking for.
    I'd still save a bit and get a TRB-6JP, sometimes you can get some sweet deals on those...

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I've tried a TRB-6 (don't know which model exactly), and I could hardly play it! The string spacing is very wide. It's definitely something that would take a while for me to get used to. As far as sound, I'm not really a fan of Yamaha's nasally <sp?> sound. I'm sure you could dial in all kinds of sounds, but I wasn't impressed. The construction looked pretty good though (it was used). But I wouldn't pay $1000 for one.

6. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    The noise problem was solved in the TRBII series
    I know people have said that the earlier TRB models were better but I absolutely love my TRBII5F and its so beatiful.

Yes, wide spacing I have big hands so there are still not wide enough. :) Very versatile sound stays in tune, 35" 'can you say B' wow. I think they have got to be one of the better production series basses.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I have a TRB-5, a mid-90's bolt-on model. It's solid as a rock, well balanced, comfortable to play (if you dig the wide and flat neck and equally wide and flat fingerboard), and has a clean, tight and articulate tone which may lack some of the growl and/or complexity of some other brands, but it works very well.

The higher registers that come from these basses are to die for. You can easily dial in a punchy low+low-mid sound as well.
    Lows are lacking a bit when run flat (ash body), but a little bass boost ought to do it.

I like my Yamaha a lot, it was very good buy for the price I paid. The biggest gripe I have with it is the noisy electronics. Like BP said in their review of the Yamaha BBN5A: "Ever heard a bass control add hiss?". A bit sad, actually, with those sweet highs you like to hear more of them... and so comes the noise.

You really should try it. You might love it, you might hate it. I was lucky buying my bass unseen and ending up liking it.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I really liked the original TRB6P; it was very well constructed and revolutionary for its time. The pop up on ebay from time to time. Despite the fingerboard width, the instrument felt more comfortable to play than a Roscoe Beck 5--weird, I know. The electronics are indeed noisy; probably too much for direct recordings. However, I believe Bartolini offers (or offered) a replacement system.

Yamaha recently reintroduced the TRB5P and TRB6P in slightly modified form; check out the Yamaha website for details.

9. ctrazy

ctrazy Guest

Jan 28, 2003
    sarasota florida
    I own a 1989 trb6p, and a 87 trb6 with the slap bout and midrange selector. The trb 6 p is a beautiful bass, i paid 800 3 years ago . The trb6 is better at getting different tones because of the midrange, I use it more as a utility bass and it has heavier gauge strings. The trb6p is strung with lighter strings, it is a chops bass with sustain and bite. I roll off the back pickup, blend in some piezo and I can get a J bass growl- I should know as I owned a 62 fender jazz for 20 years. The trb6p is quiet, the trb 6 is a noisy bass [treble] but itn is great for dub , deep bass . The downside is i go thru input jacks, that is the weak point in these basses. But nobody waqnts to play them at jams, which is fine with me. I would like to try a Warwick, i have tried modulas and ken smith 6 , but i keep coming back to my yamahas.

10. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I have a 1991 trb6p and a 1998 trb6II without the slap bout and midrange selector:D

You can't go wrong with the trb6p It's a great sounding bass, on the other hand I don't like the sound of the trb6II so I'll probably defret it.

11. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Wrong, they are all made in Japan. and they are overpriced:)

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The new TRBs have been bit of a dissapointment for me, but then again I'm more of a rock player. To my ears, they have rather smooth and even tone, which is really not my treat.

I think the John Patitucci Signature rocks, though. Too bad it's quite expensive :(