Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squice, Feb 21, 2003.

1. I saw this 6 string yamaha TRB6, i played it, it felt really nice, i just have been playing 4 string bass, and i felt comfortable with the neck right away. tho it´s that much wider. I didn´t plug it in, so i don´t know how it sounds. So if any of you owned this type or have owned, i would like to know the ups/downs of it. I have played the attitude type, is this up/down class from that one.?

2. Is there really no one here that has any experience with this bass at all?

3. glenn brady

glenn brady

Oct 10, 2002
    sweet bass - really good for fusion and soloing - i have the patitucci model - imho, best off-the-rack 6 out there

lots of other threads on this in here - search "TRB", and "patitucci"

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't own one, but have played one quite a bit at a local store. Very nice bass; also, very wide neck. Just about as wide as my seven-string. I though the nicest aspect of the bass was a very clean and pronounced high-end; it remained solid and didn't sound thin and tinny as a lot of six-strings can.

5. Are you talking TRB6 or TRB6II? (the II is the bolt-on model). I found the neckthru models very good, but the bolt-ons lack character in the sound, although they are well made and easy to play.

6. I was talking about the bolt on.. is just the plain TRB6, wich is probably the TRB6 II.

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Very nice bass, plays better than it looks ;) I suggest if you can get it, you get it. Wide neck, which may be yay or nay. They look huge and heavy, but they arent suprisingly. I think the bass player from jamiquorai uses one. Good luck with her!

8. I was a little confused about what type this bass was, on the head it was labeled TRB 6, then i looked at yamaha´s homepage and at the TRB series, and this bass got the same body as the signature bass, it come cutout near neck neck. and neither the standard or the TRB 6 II got this body, at least they weren´t pics of it at they´r hompage. But then it must be older TRB or something, but i think it looks really nice, looks as it is really massive and heavy, but it isn´t that heavy, yeh and neck is rather wide i must admitt that, but that kinda my thing, narrow neck, and the necks wide doesn´t really bother my becouse i got long fingers..:)

9. Mego

Mego

Feb 24, 2003
    UK
    I've played one for ~10 years with Rock, Jazz, Indie outfits and love it. I'd agree with the comment on the straight through necked ones being a lot better. Mines the TRB6P - which has a Piezo pick up as weel - so great double bass sound or mad hollow solo sound.

One comment is that the fretboard is wide. I like that as I can still slap freely, others who've used it say it's hard work.

Pair it up with an Alembic Fretless and an SWR rig and you've got a happy bassist!

M