1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha TRB6II - Options?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mehve, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    Basically, I've had my TRB6II for well over a decade now, got it when the model first came out. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with its sound, but I've begun to get really curious what directions I can take the overall sound. I've tried searching, but there really doesn't seem to be a lot of interest overall. There seems to be a (mild) consensus that the electronics are the weaker half of the instrument, although even that boils down to just a couple comments that stretch over a decade.

Demoing other basses has been a dead-end, the stores around me can't be arsed to stock anything but entry-level stuff. And to be honest, I can't identify how much of my exact sound is the body/strings/amp, and how much is due to the electronics, so I couldn't begin to guess what direction any particular modification would take me. If I'm going to spend money, I'd like to try and do it intelligently.

If anyone has any input or experience on the matter, I'd appreciate it.

2. Modulus1906

Modulus1906 Supporting Member

May 5, 2009
    I have a TRB5PII that I'm getting ready to drop a Mike Pope Flexcore preamp into with the original pickups. I'm doing this because I think the treble frequency of the stock pickup is set too low. I'm looking for a tighter, snappier sound with bright, warm growl and expect the Pope pre to deliver.

3. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    Cool. I'd be interested to hear your before and after impressions with that preamp.

4. king rew

king rew

Feb 18, 2009
    Maine
    What's the amp?

5. Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    I meant to say that I believe the treble frequency on the stock preamp is set too low, not the pickups. The Alnico 5 humbuckers on the yamaha trb basses are actually quite good. I'm using an EBS td 650 head with an ebs 410 and ebs 212 cabs

6. I have a TRB1005 which I believe has the same preamp but I think it is a good preamp.

7. yanceybassman

yanceybassman

Sep 10, 2012
    Will let you know the results in two weeks, when I first bought the bass sounded horrible with cheap strings on it ,replaced them with a set of elixers played them on my genz Ben 650 using 4 ohlm bergantino with 3 tens and got it to work .decided i wanted the vtc from sadowski so we'll see. I cant wait , i feel like a little kid waiting for xmas.

8. yanceybassman

yanceybassman

Sep 10, 2012
    I mean elixirs

9. yanceybassman

yanceybassman

Sep 10, 2012
    Using gbe 600 genz benz....

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... I have a TRB5P-II and I'm not hankerin' to put a Pope FlexCore in it - it sounds fantastic to me the way it is. I've put FlexCores in two other basses though, and I like the sound a lot.

11. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    Here is my experience with mods to my TRB6II:

I thought that the original elec. were a little limited (although the sound wasn't bad). I also didn't like the fact that the center detents, on the controls, were difficult to feel.

First, I tried an EMG pre with the stock pups but, the output was too low. So I had to take it out.

Then, I installed an Aguilar pre, with the stock pups (based on some of the reviews that I read). It sounded like a jazz bass on steroids. The stock pups are single coil so, there's not much variation that you can do in that regard. I played it like that for 6-8 months.

Recently, I decided to change the pups. I installed a pair of quad coil Barts (with a series/single/parallel switch for each pup) with the Aguilar pre. I'm really loving the sound of that combination. And it's very versatile with the coil tapping switches.

The main problem that I ran into is that there are no direct replacements for the pups on this particular model bass. I'm sure you could custom order some pups but, I don't know how long it would take or how much it would cost.

I didn't dislike the stock sound but, I like as much versatility as I can have in a bass (since I usually only cary one bass to a gig). Hope this helps a little.

12. Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    I'm doing so because I'd like the option of running the bass without the piezo engaged. However, if I cut out the piezo and boost treble, the treble frequency is not optimal to my ears since it seems to operate in the mid frequency band rather than a true treble frequency band. I like the fact that the Pope can deliver 10KHZ of crispy snap without my having to boost the piezo. I think the slap tone will benefit from this mod. I'll probably be using a Fishman Powerchip piezo preamp/buffer in conjunction with the Pope to maintain the piezo functionality of my 5PII.