Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB6II vs. Ibanez SR3006

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Nov 24, 2002.

1. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi all,
    Which one of this two basses would you choose and why? Can you give me some tips regarding tone, playability (e.g. B String, neck, etc..). Here in Portugal they sell the Yamaha for about 1500 € and the Ibanez for something like 1800 € (1€ = $1).
    Thank you in advance for all the attention.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Ups!!
    Did something wrong posting the pictures of the two basses!!!!
    Sorry!

3. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Come on people....

I really need some input on this issue. These two basses are my main choices at this moment, but I would like to know some other opinions!!!! I want the best one suited to blues, jazz and progressive rock.

Regards.

4. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I prefer the Yamaha.

5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'd say go for the yamaha as well. Better electronics and great construction.

6. I'd take the Yamaha for its greater playability. The 6-string Soundgears are almost too narrowly spaced for fingerstyle, let alone slap.

7. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    I own the Yamaha TRB 6II. Very good sounding 6-string. The stringspacing at the bridge is 18 mm. The Ibanez has 16 mm. The neck is broad, but thin and flat. I have rather small hands and it is easy to play. The electronics are very quiet. Mine is amberburst and you could have it for 900 Euro incl. Case

8. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Thank you all for your advice!!

Any votes on the Ibanez?? ;)

Regards.

9. I really cannot recommend the Ibanez, based on owning an EDC 705 (1st bass, I didn't know better) and trying many of their others. I briefly owned the BTB 405, and it was OK...sort of... I had higher hopes for the BTB 1005 and was disappointed at what a neck diver it was--but it was a leap better than the 405. Go try them, and go try other basses--I don't think any Ibanez is a buy-without-trying-first bass. Not meant to bash, because I wanted to like some Ibanez basses but it didn't work out. The Yamaha's seem pretty stout. If you consider electronic upgrades to be fair game, you might find that there are way more options in this range than Ibanez or Yamaha--I think it's tough for folks to definitely pick one over the other because there are so many options that you didn't mention. Good luck in your search.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The SR3006 is one of the best basses Ibanez makes. Bartolini pickups, and a 5 piece laminated neck.

The Yamaha TRB6II is a good bass, not Yamaha's top of the line, but very nice for the price.

The way I would make this decision is the neck dimensions.

The SR3006 has a narrow neck with a thin profile. Great if you like narrow string spacing.

The TRB6II has a wide neck with a thin profile, great if you like wide spacing.

I would play both before making a decision. They have a very different feel.

11. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Just to let you know that I'll probably go for the Yamaha!! I haven't made my mind yet, but... well..... I love how the Ibanez looks, but, at the end, the TRB seems to be a better decision...

However, feel free to let me know more opinions on this two basses!!

Once again, thank you all for your time!

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like both, however, when I played the Yamaha it felt more comfortable.

You said you were leaning towards the TRB. What specifically made it the better decision for you? Was it the feel, the sound, or the dollars?

Dan