Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRB6P - Any happy owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hi there. I own a rather nice Yamaha TRB6P in black, which I got for peanuts - a fairly outrageous deal.

The bass is great - however, I'm more of a 4/5 guy, so it doesn't get the playing time it deserves. I'm considering defretting it, as it goes, and selling my fretless - one small solution to the constant niggling task of downsizing my bass collection.

I would just be interested in hearing others thoughts on this bass. I've had a search and enjoyed reading people's (mostly) positive comments.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

A few mods have been done to it. Stock pups replaced, neck slimmed, and carbon fibre rods put up the neck (for additional strength, I'm told, can anyone confirm this?)

One question: Can anyone tell me where the serial number is?

Looking forward to your responses!

Regards

Mike :)

2. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I love mine, I have plans to defret it. But what is the diffrence between the one you/he has and mine??? i know there is a version I and a II which is which.
    [​IMG]

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Mines the mk1 as far as I'm aware. I think the mkii's are called Yamaha TRB6Pii.

Quatre, you might know me from MX ;)

Regards

Mike

4. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I might know you..... I think i do know you. :smug:

5. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I played one for 9 years. I only recently traded it to get a rediculous deal on a Roscoe 7. I miss that bass though. the feel of it was perfect. I loved the spacing. The tone was good with the right strings.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    And maybe you guys will remember me from MX? :bag:

Anyway, that bass has got a high gas rating for me. I don't know, there's something about it that says 'take me home'.

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I thought you would never ask!! Happy owner here. The only few things I don't really like are the fact that it is orange, and the flame maple with that colour makes it look like a prawn. Also, the stock preamp sucked, as in, it didn't match with the Lane Poors in it. Nice pickups. Also, it's a little heavy, and has some slight neck dive. Apart from all that, I LOVE the spacing, flat finger board, and man is the shape sexy. I love it's looks.

8. I have the TRB-6 (not P) and love it, it is my #1.

I think you can differentiate the Mk I and Mk II by the scale length for one. The Mk I's are 34", the II's are 35".

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Also the headstock logo's are a little different, and the cutaways are different. The top horn on the mk2's isn't carved out like the older ones. Also I think my mk1 is 33.75 inches in scale length.

10. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks for the interesting comments everyone.

Sorry to ask again - but could someone direct me to where I might be able to find out the serial number?

Many thanks

Mike

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Serial numbers are on the back of the headstock. I take it yours was refinished? I guess that means yours is no longer.

12. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I'm nearly 100% sure it's not a refinish. But there's no sign of the serial number. Very strange indeed. Did it come in a glossy jet black?

Regards

Mike

13. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I seem to recall them being available in trans red, trans blue, and maybe something like amber/amberburst ... but not black. Could easily be wrong, though... if/when I ever go to 6-string, this would be one of the first ones I'd look for.

The earlier ones had piezos in the bridge, and two truss rods... I believe the second version of the TRPs did away with the piezos, not sure if the 6-string went to one truss rod.

14. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    *is from MX too*
    *hugs las olas*

i was this close to buying a yamaha trb6: | |, before the guys here at TB told me what a gt-7 was. :).

15. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have seen older TRB6-P's with one truss rod. Mine has 2 and it's a 1991. Also, on the older one the brigde pickup was like right smack bang hard up against the bridge. I think that one was from about 1985 so I may have been told. Man there are a lot of variants. Newest neckthrough versions have single bridges pieces also.

16. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    James: Mine has a pickup very near the bridge - and one truss rod. Would you suggest mine was mid eighties, approx? I was keen to date it. I've come to the conclusion that there has been a (very professional!) refinish, most likely done by Martin Peterson at the Bass Gallery London as he did the other mods.

Regards

Mike

17. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Las Olas:

After looking closer at the pictures and by what you have said, yes, it is most likely from the mid to late 80's or around that era, if what the guy I know who says about his is true... if that made sense. I didn't even know Yamaha made them before the 80's, but it seems that they did. And I do't think they ever offere them in black, and if your serial is missing, yeah it was probably refinished. I still can't get over how good these basses are. I love mine.

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    if I'm not mistaken,there were a few of these (real late 80's) that were made in the California studio,and supposedly there were a couple of them that were black,but as you I didn't think they offered it in black,but then again it's possible because both the London/California studios were putting out some great stuff concerning the TRB 5-6'S

19. ampeglb100

ampeglb100

Oct 1, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I am still looking for a really nice Yamaha TRB6P, maybe a TRB6JP, and also now TRB4P's too... These are great basses and I would really like to have a nice six. I have the dough, so if any of you have one let me know...

Thanks,

Andy

afort@pacifier.com

20. I've got a Yamaha catalogue from 1992, and black was only offered on the 4string in the TRB range. (Mike Rutherford uses one with Genesis/mike & the mechanics).