Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRBII vs Yamaha BB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Samie, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok, What is the real diferencence between the BB and the TRB series of Yamaha? I realize from reading other post that the original TRB were better than the TRBII but how are these two models diferent from the long running bb series?

Thankx

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There have been a number of iterations in each of the TRB an BB product lines over the years, so definitive comparisons are difficult. The BB series first appeared in the 70s as a (reasonably) low priced neck-through P-like instrument, and was originally equipped with a single passive p pickup; in the 80s, the higher-end BBs acquired a J blade bridge pickup and active circuitry, but kept the distinctive, chunky BB body shape. In the 90s, Yamaha dropped the neck-through construction, beveled the edges on the high priced BBs and moved to a two humbucker electronics system with a nifty preset parametric mid. As you may know, Yamaha tries to get a high profile endorsee for each of its lines. The artist-endorsed BB is the Nathan East Signature, which has a quilted or flamed maple top, MOP block inlays and gold hardware. It shares its electronics with the other high end BBs. Nice instruments all, but none are available as a six-string.

The TRBs, by contrast, have only been around for 10 years; the originals, designed with John Patitucci's input, were 5-piece neck through models in 4, 5, and 6 string configurations, with alder bodies, flamed maple tops, active PJ or JJ pickups and piezo bridges. A lot of people must have complained about the wide spacing on the 5 and 6, because the TRBIIs, which have been on the market for the last 5 years, have relatively narrow spacing. Other differences between the TRB and TRBII: ash body as opposed to alder and flamed maple; bolt on neck; no piezo bridge; humbucking pickups. The John Patitucci Signature keeps the JJ pickups of the original TRB series, but has a bolt-on neck and a body of ash and flame maple. Note: Yamaha has released a new line of TRBIIPs, which feature a redesigned piezo bridge, neck through construction and multi-ply ash/maple body. Confusing, I know.

3. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Does that mean that given the same price range, the BB is a better Bass than the TRBII?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They're just different - aimed at different customers really. I've tried the TRBIIs and don't like them,although the new TRB6P and TRB5P are very good and I had an original TRB6P with pisezos etc. which was a really good bass. I think in the end it's down to personal preference and that Yamaha are providing a range of well-made instruments to suit all pockets and types of players - from amateur to professional. John Patitucci still plays his TRB6JP and the Natan East bass is also a very good one. I think that you have to try both and see which is better for you.