Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha TRBP5-II ... played one.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 1, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What a beautiful bass. Neck-through, ebony 'board, Ovankol top. Yup, yup, yup. You wanna sound like Nate, you need something like this. It's hanging on the wall at a local guitar store (not GC). I played it through a Fender Bassman 200 with a suknut 15, but it still had that clean, buttery Nathan East tone. How can I work this? List price? $3,999. Seems to me it would come in at about $2,500 street. I have no siblings to sell that would bring in that much money, so I need to work on something else. Fudge.

2. Aw, man, I love that sound. I hear the necks are MANLY MANLY MANLY, too.

$2500 is sure an awful lot to pay, though. Phew.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    They pop up on the used market often enough at reasonable prices.

4. Well, I've seen the original TRB-P series basses and the cheaper bolt-on TRB-II basses on the used marked quite a bit, but I've only seen a couple of the new TRB-IIP models come up used. They're pretty rare.

Mike

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    my friend's got a custom version of this bass (direct from someone at yamaha) it's got a flame maple top and piezo pickup in the bridge.

incredible instrument.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Well, if you and Petey Mac sold your child he wants to bear,...... :D

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    All of the TRBs are incredibly nice to play. The only six string bass I've ever really liked was the John Patitucci signature. I would glady settle for a "lesser" TRB, though.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If Peter McFerrin manages to bear your progeny, I shall purchase that bass for you, for thou shalt be DA MAN.:D

It's interesting, though, that the TRB series would sound like Nathan East. I'd imagine they'd sound more like John Patitucci, since his bass is a TRB.

What is the tonal difference between the TRB and the BB serieses?