Yamaha TRB's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmanb, Jan 29, 2002.

1. bassmanb

May 31, 2001
    Hi i'm from Australia. I'm just about to pick up my new Yamaha TRB 5 and was wondering if there were any other TRB owners on here and if so if you could give me some feedback on this bass.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Solidly built, looks great, sounds nice. Body and neck are both very comfortable. I don't play mine much though. Why is that you say?

Well, I have since the day I bought mine been annoyed with the preamp, which induces a great deal of hissing in my tone. When playing live it isn't noticeable at all, but I'm kind of anal with those things and if you're in a recording session, the hissing might be heard. I also found the tone to be a little too "pretty" for the music I play - I think my Jazz bass sits better in the soundscape although I have to say that the sound a TRB has on its own is wonderful.

I'm also not completely happy with the minimal fingerboard curvature, to me it makes it harder to play. I also found myself to have little use for the B string. But that is just personal preference and nothing that is *wrong* with the design.
  3. i got an early TRB5 fretless recently, while the output is good, the preamp is a little noisey.

has anyone out there replaced this?? what are the options for the 3 band???

also i didn't like the 5 on the fretless, i have a much tighter and nicer sounding B on my Overwater 5,

so i replaced the strings with light gauge E-C and i really like it,

on the preamp, i wouldn't mind replacing it?!
  4. I hopefully will be getting a Yamaha TRB-5 in a couple months as a bass that I can use in my church.

I want that Gospel tone, and I'm pretty sure that a Yamaha TRB-5 will do the trick...(though I know that no other bass does it better than a Ken Smith bass)

about changing the preamp in the Yamaha...if the preamp is noisy, can i put a Bartolini 18-volt 3-band EQ in it? Will it work well with the pickups?