1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha trbx 305, good 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nyangsw, Jan 27, 2017.

1. nyangsw

nyangsw

Apr 26, 2012
    Hello,
    I am finding a 5 string bass under $400. I need a tight and clear low B, 24frets, wide string spaing(18/19mm).
    The Trbx 305 looks like fit all requirements.
    Anyone played one? how's the low B and overall quility?
    Thanks.

2. nyangsw

nyangsw

Apr 26, 2012
    bump

3. CGremlin

CGremlin Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I've had mine for several months, and I've been pretty happy with it. No complaints with the B, and the build quality is quite good. The strings that come with it aren't the greatest, but they're not awful either. In general, it's a really nice, low cost 5-string. The only criticism I have is that my playing position often results in my fingers touching the pole pieces, which gives a slight pop when it happens, so I may end up putting some clear nail polish on them to try to minimize that.

nyangsw likes this.
  4. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I had one. I didn't find much use for the selector switch but it had a solid tone and the B string was decent. Here's an old clip of me using mine.

chip134 and Crystalman85 like this.
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yamaha basses are great. I almost bought a couple at various times because of the high value to cost ratio. But they are wide spaced and in the end that ended up a deal-breaker for me. I can play wide spaced. It's not like I can't, but all my other basses are narrow spaced and I like them best. If you like wide spacing they are a great buy.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Yamaha provides incredible value at all levels. However, don't overlook the BB425X, as demo'd quite nicely here:

jjk2007 and Crystalman85 like this.
  7. nyangsw

nyangsw

Apr 26, 2012
    BB series is good bass, but I tent to some modern like active electrnic, 24 frets... etc.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The yamaha trbx305 is a great sounding bass. I own one in a black finish and it has a nice beefy sound. this bass has a unique feature. and that is the 5-way tone switch. it's a tone selector switch that has pre-eq settings for certain types of playing. from top to bottom, there's slap, pick, flat, finger, and solo. for the price, it's quite versatile. and the low b string is pretty good. not to mention it has pretty good sustain. I would recommend it if you want a beefy punchy sounding bass.

chip134 likes this.