1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha TRBX vs TRB Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LA2A, Apr 23, 2016.

1. LA2A

LA2A

Apr 23, 2016
    Hello guys,

Good to be here!

I am planning to get a new active bass to compliment my Fender Jazz which I love but is not for everything.

I am torn between a Yamaha TRBX505 and a Yamaha TRB1005.

The TRBX line is supposed to be very good according to what I read in the forums already, however the TRB line has become very affordable as well and look stunning.

Which one would be a better choice?

I see so many people posting nice photos with them here so I am sure there are quite a few people who have tried both :)

Thanks!

2. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    The TRBX is a hybrid of the old RBX and the TRB model lines. As such, you'll get 34" scale, wide enough (18mm) string spacing. Yamaha designed humbuckers are passable, but people have complained about the preamp.

The TRB is a 35" scale, 24 fret...well, just listen...

3. LA2A

LA2A

Apr 23, 2016
    Thanks for the reply.

Would you say that the TRB has better preamp?

I've watched lots of videos but it's not possible to tell which sounds better as there is no A/B comparison video and the sound is changed by the amp/ room / processing etc.

TRB's are still more expensive to buy but does it make sense?

4. LowEndOperative

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Getting a TRB definitely makes sense if it's affordable; I've owned a couple of TRBXs and if I were to go back to Yamaha I'd opt for a TRB because of the longer scale, as I'm really committed to the 35".

5. LA2A

LA2A

Apr 23, 2016
    Thanks Ponsonby,

I am a keyboard player mainly but play the bass when I am producing,

What about the sound? Would you still choose the TRB? Does it have a tighter B string?
    What about the preamps on the TRB?

Sadly I can not test the TRBX but not the TRB :(

6. LowEndOperative

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I would think that almost any low B on a 35" neck (like the TRB) would be tighter, assuming it's strung properly. The TRB is not as readily available, however.

As far as the preamp I haven't played a TRB but an Aguilar OBP-3 seems to be a popular option. For that matter you could put one in a TRBX.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  7. LA2A

LA2A

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi and thanks for the reply once more !

When you say not readily available what do you mean?

Since you've tried both of them I would be really interested to know about your thoughts on the sound of both of them

8. Nick Thorpe

Nick Thorpe Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Boston, MA
    The TRB 1005 is likely a much better bass, although not as good as the older Japanese-built TRBs. I'd definitely recommend it over the TRBX.

9. distortion81

distortion81

Oct 24, 2014
    i agree with this statement, don't waste money on th etrbx...they are not that well made as the trb.

10. LA2A

LA2A

Apr 23, 2016
    Thank you guys that's exactly what I needed to know.
    Seems like a 1005 is the better choice even if it's a tad more expensive.