1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha TRBX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bill Powers, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Bill Powers

Bill Powers

Jun 6, 2016
    I'm a lifelong (50 years+) fingerstyle acoustic guitar player. Joined a light rock group that already had lead and rhythm players, but no regular bass player. So, decided to see if I could contribute by changing instruments. Didn't want to spend too much on my "experiment". (Figured I could upgrade later.) Tried foreign-built Fenders, Ibanez, a Schecter, and others. After reading many reviews I settled on a Mango-body Yamaha TRBX-174. Put a set of D'Addario XL Chrome flat-wounds on it, tweaked the setup, and I have to say, for $225 it is (IMHO) a great sounding bass. Just curious to see whether my ears are deceiving me or if others in the forum have made a similar discovery.

chip134, Crystalman85 and Aras like this.
  2. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    True is in your words! It is very well made instrument! Love mine. Body is made from 3 pieces of alder, not laminated 5-7. Neck is stable. Pickups are good. Live, clear and warm soul in this bass

3. Bill Powers

Bill Powers

Jun 6, 2016
    I agree. I've found playing flat wound strings lightly up the neck (with only the neck pickup) comes very close to emulating the warm sound of an acoustic double bass. I'm sure there are better basses, but not for so little money.

"Truly there would be reason to go mad were it not for music." Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

chip134 and Aras like this.
  4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I was thinking of getting a yamaha trbx174ew myself. I normally play 5-string basses, but would like to add a passive 4-string to my arsenal and this bass is just what I've been looking for. I am intrigue by the fact that this bass has a mahogany body(which I'm a fan of) and it sounds incredible. in addition to that, I was also thinking of getting a yamaha trbx505 mainly because I have not once own a bass with a passive/active switch. those basses will be next on my gas list.