1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha TRBX174EW? Interesting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassa Nova, Apr 22, 2017.

1. IMG_4283.JPG I happened to be killing some time at my local GC and picked up a Yamaha TRBX174EW.

My next bass is likely a PJ so out of curiosity picked up the cheapest one in the shop. It was super light weight, set up nicely, had a nice neck and had surprisely nice tone from these stock pickups. The p pickup was beefy and blending in j bridge pickup added sufficient growl. I am sure playing through a Markbass Mini CMD 121P did not hurt.

All in all it felt like a much more expensive bass.

It has a rather "exotic" mango wood top which does not look cheap.

I think you can walk away with these for about $170.

If I were in the market for a nice starter bass or a decent backup, I would strongly consider this.

It was very fun to play!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. JRA

JRA what key? Supporting Member

it looks great! athanks for sharing your experience. if i was in the market for an inexpensive fretted instrument i'd probably snag one. i like the two octaves! :thumbsup:

Bassa Nova likes this.
  3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Yes the wonders of the modern age. Yet another credible entry into the affordable bass market.

Bassa Nova likes this.
  4. TrustRod

TrustRod

Mar 13, 2016
    Great, Yamaha has released a bass named after my bank password!

safikex, Eikari and Bassa Nova like this.
  5. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    These actually play and sound great. I sold mine only because I purchased one of the heavier ones and it was killing my shoulder.

Serious question - does Yamaha make anything that isn't quality?

Nikol4ik, TrustRod and Bassa Nova like this.
  6. The one I played was surprisingly light. No idea if that is a rarity or the norm.

As to Yamaha, I am more of a Fender freak, but I have always heard positive feedback on Yamaha. I may have to buy one one of these days. I like the BB series.

7. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Ironically, when I returned my Yamaha it was replaced by a Fender Jazz.

Bassa Nova likes this.