Yamaha Trbx305 Dull and Noisy Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Deepcut, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Deepcut

Deepcut

Jun 20, 2016
    Hey First post Hello all,

Been Playing bass for about 2 years now, and guitar on and off for years Started off with a cort gb75 bass Brought 2nd hand just basically got what ever really came up first, Been playing and recording ever since Didn't really think much of the cort bass having never played anything else had my eye on a Yamaha For a while Given all the good reviews. So I finally decided to get a TRBX305 and didn't even play it when I went to get it, as with every normal guitar I have brought, there's never really been much difference in sound to be honest just feel. Upon getting home I played unplugged for a while, A and B ing with the old bass, yamaha sounds A bit more "boney" But in a good way but when I A-B them plugged in I Found the yamaha to be Quite Dull Boxed in so to speak lack of punch as well, both basses where set to flat no boosting what so ever, no matter how much knob turning I did the Yamaha just sounds Crap plugged in as well as having a higher noise floor, I recorded 2 samples and had a look at the response the yamaha has no real response after 5khz the cort drops off about 8k serious lack of "air"

So surely it's not just the different style pick ups making this much difference?
    would swapping the electronics out, but with the same pick ups yield good results?
    I have never done it so Wouldn't know.
    Some Think the results of doing so have made a huge difference.

Have no Idea if the link below works but, That's a quick A to B Of The Yamaha then the cort Clear difference!

[soundcloud url="" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. make sure you have the same strings on both basses ( and both sets are new). Also, make sure that you have a new battery in both instruments. Low voltages can do weird things sometimes (though, usually it woudn't effect the freq response). Single coils versus humbuckers can have a HUGE difference in tone. Even between humbuckers, the wiring, coil configuration, and design can make a difference in tone. Pickup height can also affect your tone/timbre. Listening to your recording, there is not much difference that finding the right strings and adjusting pickup height couldn't account for.