Yamaha Trbx505 vs Cort A5 for modern jazz and fusion.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mili, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    Hi
    I really enjoy modern jazz and fusion(Alain Caron,Mike stern,Larry Coryell,Lee Ritenour,Bill Evans,Dave weckl....) So recently i decided to buy a 5 string Bass. I searched local music stores and found these (I'm living in wrong country for music so my options are very limited)
    -Yamaha Trbx505
    -Cort A5
    -Cort B5
    -Ibanez sr605
    -Squier Deluxe Dimension V
    What do you think? My idol Bass player (Tom Kennedy) plays a Fodera and Yamaha Trb. Which of these Basses are most close to that sound?
    Thank you very much.

2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Going by the name alone, I'd say the Yamaha. What does the "x" in Trbx stand for anyway?

Mili likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yamaha. Super clean sound and the quality control at that price point is insanely good. Every single Yamaha bass will feel identical to the next one of the same model. I used to sell them in a store. It's almost odd how they nail down a design and then every single one feels and sounds the same. That goes for acoustic guitars and pianos too.

Mili likes this.
  4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's a fusion of the TRB and RBX lines.

Oly Spart and jjk2007 like this.
  5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I'm guessing you mean the Ibanez SR655? If so, that's the bass I would recommend. Nordstrand pickups, P/J - it's a better sounding bass imo and has an awesome jatoba/bubinga neck. Yamaha TRBX505 isn't bad either, I think these would be two best options on your list, but my personal preference is the Ibanez, I do like Yamaha basses in general though, they are good quality basses - I've owned a few, but the ibanez SR605 is imo just a better bass than the TRBX505. Don't take my word for it though, try as many of these basses and see what feels and sounds best to you.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Mili likes this.
  6. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    I meant Sr605 but yes, Sr655 is a good one but it's expensive and unavailable here. Do you think Trbx505 is good for modern jazz? Some of my friends told me the Bartolini pickups are very close to that sound!
    Thank you for replay.

7. I would go Yamaha every single time. Love Yamaha stuff, Instruments, Outboard motors, Bikes. They do not make crocks.

Laurence

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    A little piece of trivia. The first thing they ever made was pianos. And the trademark symbol you see on every single product of theirs is three crossed tuning forks as a result.
    yamaha-2-stroke-parts.jpg

Mili likes this.
  9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Ah...oddly enough we don't see a lot of the SR600 or SR605 here but it's similar to the SR500 or the SR700 I once had, just the finish is different. Still a great bass as it still has the jatoba/bubinga neck. For reference, my son owns the Yamaha TRBX305 which is a model down from the TRBX505 but similar body, neck. I've also tried the TRBX505 quite a bit but didn't end up buying it for myself. Between the two, I still preferred the Ibanez SR bass (in my case, the SR700) in terms of neck and feel. It does play modern jazz well too - the tone I think is what you may be looking for. I do play rock and funk/jazz fusion the Ibanez was more than capable of both. The Yamaha is built solidly, very good and stable neck (although not as nice as the Ibanez neck in feel), sounds is pretty good but in my opinion, not as good or versatile as the SR. All a matter of preference mind you, both basses are pretty solid choices.

Mili likes this.
  10. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    Thank yoh v
    Thank you very much, this is what i want to hear.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    No problem, I was going to mention that I prefer the BB series of basses over the TRBX series in terms of Yamaha basses but they provide more of that traditional Fender-ish sound sound rather than modern sound you're looking for in a prospective bass but you probably already know about the BB basses looking at your user pic. :)

Mili likes this.
  12. Yes I know all that, and they still do make pianos. Pretty dam fine ones too.

Laurence

two fingers likes this.
  13. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    Yes, i have a BB424X and i love it. I dream about 2024X but just dreaming. :)

14. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I may have a unique perspective on this. I've owned a trbx305 and currently own a Cort Artisan C5 plus and a Cort Artisan A5 plus.

The Yamaha and these Cort basses are all exceptional quality for this price point. I actually prefer the Cort but you can't go wrong either way.

Mili likes this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Definitely the Yamaha, but I can't stand Bartolni pickups or blackout pickups in general.

Mili likes this.
  16. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Me to the Yamaha...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Mili likes this.
  17. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Oh yeah....and I had a Squier Dimension bass too. The tone is so mid heavy and aggressive that it wouldn't sound appropriate for jazz fusion.

Mili likes this.
  18. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    I believe in Yamaha, but I'm concerned about pickups. Actually i already have a Squier Dimension but i couldn't connect with it.
    Thank you.

19. A Yamaha will run circles around any Squier. When I got my BB424 It made me realise exactly how bad my Squier actually was. Now the only original unmodified part of the Squier are 18 of its screws.

Laurence

Mili likes this.
  20. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I'm a big fan of yamaha basses, but found the trbx505 to be lacking in versatility. I found the b string to be a little uneven in sound as well. This really bothered me and I eventually sold it. I have yet find a budget five that i like. I'm still looking. Good luck with your search.

Mili likes this.