1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha TRBX605FM (general thoughts & possible modifications as well)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-freq, Nov 17, 2018.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    There are not as many threads on this bass guitar as I would have expected.
    I've read just about all of what's out there on TB & watched several YT reviews...etc.
    I haven't run across one to try out yet, but sure do want to.
    Seems like a lot of bass for the price & potentially a great platform for modifications (similar to the 55-01 by Lakland - I prefer the 18mm string spacing on the 605).
    Do any of the current users feel like upgrades would make a big difference in the tone [hardware (bridge &/or tuners), pups, &/or preamp]?
    In addition, any updates from what's already been posted in other threads, especially wrt comparison with other basses you've owned, would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance - JD.

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I haven't tried this bass yet, but I would like to try one out. I've also have been checking out youtube clips of this bass and I think it's a great sounding bass. If I get a chance to try one out at a music store, I will let you know my thoughts on trying out this bass.

lo-freq likes this.
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Pretty good tone (especially, from ~10min into video).

Crystalman85 likes this.
  4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Indeed...I have been checking out some yamaha basses recently. I've been looking at the trbx505 and the bb435. I plan to get one of them sometime in the future.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Here's another good clip:

Crystalman85 likes this.
  6. I'm a very happy owner of the TRBX505 (same basic setup as the 605, except the body wood) since last April. Talk about a great value for the money!

I don't plan to do any mods to it, except to experiment with different strings, as it is a fine companion to my two Fenders (P & J) the way it is in terms of tonal versatility.

lo-freq likes this.
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Bump (along with another great-sounding video):

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Awesome clip...this clip did got me interested in owning one along with this clip.

I was also interested in getting either the trbx505 or the bb435.

lo-freq likes this.
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Nice!

Crystalman85 likes this.
  10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Indeed it is.

11. stretch80

stretch80 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Just played one of these at EarCraft in NH, was demoing an amp, but was blown away by this bass. Great sound and b string and a 34" scale too... Nice, would expect it to be more expensive.

lo-freq likes this.
  12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I need to hunt one down to demo.
    Anyone else out there try one yet?

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I’ve owned one for a few months now. I went into my local store to try out/buy a BB735a, and ended up walking out with the 605FM along with it.

It’s a great bass. Playability is top notch, fit and finish is flawless, and it sounds great. It does the modern soapbar tone very well, it somewhat reminds me of a couple of the Roscoe basses I’ve owned in the past. It’s definitely well worth the price, in my opinion. My only gripe is I wish the nut width was a bit wider, but that’s purely personal preference, not an issue with the bass itself.

lo-freq likes this.
  14. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    These are fantastic basses. I bought one with the intent of turning it into a fretless (which I did, and it came out real nice). The only modification I made was to replace the knobs, which weigh about a pound total. I replaced them with the same knobs that are on my Sadowsky to lower the weight of the bass substantially.

I doubt you're going to get any mileage out of replacing the bridge or tuners. The pickups/preamp sound great, so unless there's something specific you're looking for, it'll probably just sound different, not necessarily better.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    lo-freq likes this.
  15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks!
    GOT TO go check them out!