Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman2004, Jul 1, 2001.

1. bassman2004

Jun 22, 2001
    How does Yamaha do when it comes to making basses? I've ordered a Yamaha Attitude Plus online and I was wondering how they play. Has anyone ever used one of these? If so how was it?
  2. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I played one the other day and thought it was a very nice bass. I'd say the Attitude bass is far better than the RBX series. I played the 5 string version, and the only thing I didn't like was the width of the neck. The Low B string was tighter than many others and IMO it sounded better than some Modulus 5's. Another good point is that this bass has passive electronics so you don't have to worry about changing a battery!:) I think the only difference in the one I played was that the owner had installed a Bartolini pickup system and a switch to select which pickups were being used. This may have made it sound a little better, but the bass had a really great feel and a good sound when only using the original pickups. Hope this helps.

3. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    I know of two bass greats who plays Yamaha basses: Abraham Laboriel and Nathan East. So they must make good basses. Of course, there are high end and low end ones.
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    So does John Patitucci.
  5. i play a Yamaha RBX 260 (amongst other makes) and although its the lowest in Yamaha's range, i'v always been extremely happy with it, i tried a few more yamaha's over the past few months, an RBX 5 and a TRB 4 and also a few warwicks and stingrays, and i have to say that i think i'll be sticking with yamaha. good basses!!!!!
  6. I also play an RBX260, except mine's fretless. It's a good bass, the only problem I've had is that it has a grounding problem, I should have someone fix that. Ugh. But overall, it's a good bass.
  7. Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    my old bass was an rbx 260 me and 3 of my frends have it (1 of them fretless)is realy nice basse and also ery cheap
  8. I just bought a BB5NII a couple of weeks ago, and have to tip my hat to Yamaha. For a passive 5 string that you can get for about $500.00, you simply can't believe how good this bass sounds.
    I also played every other Yamaha in the store (except the Attitude) and I give them all very high marks. The main reason I bought this bass was the sound, the other was(as Funkslaprumblefish said) no battery! Actives are great, but, if a bass sounds good with passives, like a Jack Casady, so much the better.(had to get a Casady plug in there)

Mike J.