YamahaTRB5II + Trace250SMX input gain prob?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomtrb, Apr 17, 2001.

1. tomtrb

Apr 17, 2001
    Please Help:

I've got a Yamaha TRB5II that I love - but - in the studio I recently found that its kind of a weak signal direct from my bass, causing noise when its boosted... Its a little better with a brand new battery and more aggressive eq settings (on board), but its not as strong as it should be, and this is the top of the Yamaha line and I cant believe that its supposed to be that weak - especially for an active bass.

I figure its a problem with the bass because on my Trace 250SMX, I have to push my gain all the way to max to get the signal where it should be - it has LED lights to show when the peamp signal has matched the input... I can get it where it should be, but shouldnt I be getting a hotter signal? And by the way, I'm not padding it, and I always have my volume on my bass all the way up.

Thanks in advance for any help,
  2. Just a nitpicky point, the TRB5II is not top of the line, it's midrange. The TRB5P is top of the line, and twice the price. Sounds like you have a problem in the preamp on your bass. Is it under warranty still? Two options: first, try another bass in your amp, and see if the problem still persists. If so, you've a faulty amp. Second, try your bass in another amp. This will tell you where the problem lies.
  3. I assume you have tried different cables....
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I don't know the II series all that well, but... have you tried to crank the volume wheel on the preamp circuit board? Inside the cavity? That should increase the gain somewhat.
    Mine is cranked on my TRB-5, but the bass has still less gain than my MIM Fender.
  5. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey I have a TRB5IIF but I have the exact opposite problem. It is to hot on most inputs, I can even record direct to the board into a line in!( then I normalize etc).

I don't really have a real amp just a small 20watt bass practice amb(mostly use home studio system). When I plug into it I keep the bass volume knob at 2-3.

Play with the eq, with every thing set to the middle and volume to max you should get a more than average signal. I you put the bass to max then you will probably overdrive most inputs.

The High gain eq does make a little noise when set to max but you should need to if you use the bridge pickup.

maybe something is wrong with yours
  6. tomtrb

Apr 17, 2001
    Thanks for the replies,

Marty, your right, I didnt know about the neck through TRBs. That would have been good info before I laid down the $$ for mine - but I have no regrets. I'm not trying to show off my bass, just trying to get a good signal.

Since I dont own any other basses, I'll have to wait till Sunday to try another one in my amp, but I did hook up my crappy acoustic guitar with a passive system, I guess a mic or something, and the gain matched my TRB - that sucked - I was hoping it was not my bass.

Hey Oysterman, how do I adjust the volume wheel on my circuit board? I think this would help alot. If you could guide me through it or give me a site to find the instructions, I would be eternally indebted. I looked around the Yamaha site and didnt see anything.

This was my first post and I must say, I was glad to get the suggestions.

7. tomtrb

Apr 17, 2001
    Sorry, Forgot to answer the other questions:

Yes I have tried different cables, even a monster cable, without any improvement.

Oysterman, I opened up the back panel and found the little wheels - I guess theyre what youre talking about. I cranked both of them and that added just a tiny bit of gain. If thats all I can do, then Im kind of pissed. What do you think Samie has got going on with all that excessive gain? Thats the same bass as mine, but frettless. BTW, Samie, if you want to trade circuit boards, Im down!

Maybe I should just get a third party on board preamp, like the Aguilar 01B or 01P, whatever it is, and I think Fodera makes one - Im not sure.

If this is the best my TRB can do, then color me a very disapointed customer. Oysterman, how do you deal with it? Do you do studio work... What do you use?