1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

YamahaTRBX 504

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Mar 28, 2015.

1. I like to have your thoughts on this bass. If you have played one. May be know someone who has one. Thought it would be a good bass for church.

2. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    very nice basses. i love the 3 band eq set up plus the active/ passive swich. the only negatives (to my personal taste) are: the passive tone does not roll, instead it remains steady, then at a certain point it just breaks from bass to trebly and vice-versa (however, the blend pot works in passive mode too. to me this gives me plenty of tonal range); and the bridge, just because i happen to like bridges that hide the end balls of the strings, this bridge doesnt. other than that, very nice.

3. I thought the treble from center down was passive tone?

If i had some cash id be all over a 505 (£470ish is nothing for such a fine bass).
    Yamaha necks are probably the most comfortable ive used, spacing on the 5's appears a little tight, but its really comfy once you start playing. Yamaha are cornering a gap in the market, for the price of a cheap fender or top squire, you get far superior build and materials.

4. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    i did not honestly know that the passive tone was supposed to be like that, but i guess it is what it is. i've come to love this bass.
    as for the string spacing, i did not find it tight at all. i have an ibanez soundgear 5 string bass, and the yamaha trbx505 has wider spacing than my ibanez. the neck is noticeably thicker. the spacing with ibanez soundgears 4string and yamaha trbx504 are pretty much the same, but in the 5 string versions of both, yamahas are definitelly wider.

5. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I had the TRBX-505. I didn't like it because the spacing was not tight enough for me (personal preference) but more importantly, I found the tone to be rather boring. Some people seem to like neutral but those people tend to be the kind that like to play with EQ for the tone they want. I like there to be a lot of character from the pickups, such that even with flatwounds on passive, I get plenty of bite. The pickups didn't really do that for me. I feel like the 300 series has much more interesting sounding pickups (and useful preset EQ curves, too) than the 500 series, though the 500 series has the more versatile EQ. So I'm saying that the TRBX304 or even the TRBX174, I find more to my liking than the TRBX504.

So you really have to try them out to see if they're to your liking. Quality of construction is rather good, but so are a lot of budget basses these days. For $549 new, I'd rather buy an Ibanez SR305 and put some money toward better pickups, or maybe just a regular old Fender.

6. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Yep. That's how it should work, too. I think it'd be very disorienting if you had a passive tone control that had a sweep through the center detente. The idea is that in the center, you should be able to switch between active and passive with very little change.

7. Yeah, my sandberg has a glokenklang pre in it (sandberg stock, made by glok) and the active set flat is exactly the same as passive with treble at center.

I know what you mean about the pickups, i was never truly happy with the ones in my BBG5a's (90's big soapbar), i put up with them for 8 years with only minor niggles (im a P guy, pref with a MM in bridge), i find the EQ in every yamaha i have played to be great, i must go and look for a 505 to have a go of :)

As for spacing, like i said im a P guy, the standard yamaha 5 spacing is a little narrower then my beloved chunky P. I cant play ibanez 5's way too narrow for me.