1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamahiko anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, May 3, 2006.

1. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    Has anyone tried the Yamahiko pick up? eddie? Anyone?

2. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    flatback -

I started this same thread weeks ago and not one reply. Go figure. I do know that last year my luthier had a visit from someone representing Yamahiko and the guy never really followed up. He stopped in the shop apparently, was touring Southern CA, said he would come back to talk seriously and never came back in again.

Eddie Gomez is said to use one but he also borrows basses a lot when he travels and I know you just can't put any old p/u on a borrowed bass. I guess maybe if the bass has bridge adjusters you could sawp them out for the p/u but that seems like it would be difficult. I hope you receive more replies than I did. We'll both learn something.

3. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    It's not much, but you can look here:

http://www.yamahiko.info/

I've never seen one in person, so I can't comment on them myself. They're not located too far from me though, just down in Fujisawa. Apparently they make pickups for Koto and piano as well.

4. Brennan

Brennan Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Oakland!
    My pianist had an endorsement with them. Although they were pretty good for piano. he used it mainly for monitors because they were feedback resistant. I checked it out and it was pretty much the same pickup you would use with bass. meaning, a contact piazo shimmed up on the sound board (the wheel pressed up to the wood). Although I never used one I remember thinking the full circle had the same thing down better. Also I seemed to remember them being expensive.
    What's the matter Piro, the honeymoon over with the Vector?

5. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    Hey Jeff,
    No I'm still digging the Vektor. I am also really into the Full Circle with a mic too. The problem for me is that I have the Vektor on a bridge that I cant use any other Piezo on and sometimes the Vektor needs a little extra definition. How about you? Are you still using it? Did you ever get into the Avalon U5? How does that sound the the Vektor?