1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yammy BB414/415 How Close to "real" P Bass Sound???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobster, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into Yamaha's BB series basses and wondered if anyone could tell me how close they come to the classic Precision Bass tone with the stock split-coil pickup soloed?

Thanks for your responses!

Bob

2. Scary close.

Check out this old thread -- great info here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222112&

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The BB414 is a great bass. Very good "P" tone.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've got an 80's BB400 and it out-P's my Fender American Precision. Ended up selling the Fender.

5. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    I have a '79 BB-800 and it really gives my P-Bass a run for the money. It has killer vintage P-Bass tone IMO. I briefly owned a BB-414 and I thought it sounded VERY similar.

100_0948.

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Wow guys. Thanks for the fast, and thorough TB replies! Great thread IotaNet.

I'm going to take a serious look at a BB415.

Bob

7. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Actually, I pretty much only use my BB414 in "P" mode. I'd say it's pretty darn close to the classic "P" sound.

GT

8. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Great p/j basses with a close p sound. I bought a 414 for my son and he loves it. I once owned an BB416 active and miss it now. I am keeping a watchful eye for another BB415 or BB416 to go up on the for sale block.

9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The BB414, when I owned one, struck me as a little more powerful than the standard P sound. Not quite "Quarter Pounder" power, but halfway there, maybe.

Great P sound, and a pretty good J sound from the bridge, too.

The active model, the BB614, doesn't sound to my ears as good; not as open. Could be me.

10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    My BB415 is in the tone realm. It's not a dead ringer, but it is pretty close. I pretty much only use the P pickup. I've got some TI jazz flats on mine right now. Unfortunately, it is unplayable or I'd try and put together some clips. I broke the nut picking it up the other day :(

11. I had a BB414 and it was a very nice bass. I ended up actually putting in a Fender P pickups. The stock Yamaha P is, as Sean Baumann stated above, in the tone realm, but I found it rather hollow sounding by itself. For me it didn't work for the blues tunes we were doing. Close but no cigar.

12. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    +1. Before the BB415, I had a 4 string USA Fender Precision. I replaced the precision with the BB415 simply because of the B string. Tone wise, the Fender all the way. However, price vs performance or need a B string, Yamaha all the way. I have to point out here I am comparing my ~$300 used (w/ case) Yamaha to my ~$750 used Fender. What can you expect? :D