Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yammy? Ibby? Tribby?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jan 31, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What's with all these abbreviations? (I see Aggie in the Amps forum a lot, too.) They sound kind of silly, in my opinion. Does no one here play a Fendy? Maybe a Gee-and-ellie? Is it really that hard to type out the word "Tribute" or "Ibanez"?

PS - I'm really not that bitter, I just find these things amusing. ;)

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    no abbreviations for me....Though I'm not sure this was the right forum to bring this up in.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How about "bassy" ....? ;)

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I figured this was the forum in which the abbreviations most frequently occur. ;)

"Stammie" - that's another one I just read. I mean, come on now.

5. I've been guilty of typing "Bergie". sorry.......:crying:

6. Hey, it's the United States Postal Service in my book !!!

Don't even try that whimpy USPS crud with me !!! :eyebrow:

G'bye. :p

Mike :D

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Don´t forget about the "Nordies" !!!

Every time I read those names, they immediately make me think of "Itchy and Scratchy"

8. Bruce Lindfield

Eh? How about : "Postie" ...;)

9. :D

Hey, I just hit 7,000 posts.

Mike ;)

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That makes sense, at least. But come on... when I hear these words I think of "blankie" and "jammies".

11. Bruce Lindfield

KIDDULTS!!

Reading childrens' books like Harry Potter, playing childish computer games , living at home with their parents, refusing to grow up...

It's well-documented!! :meh:

12. I love my Bennie...;)

[​IMG]

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Where are the Jets?

Sorry. :D

14. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Ahhhh, lighten up!

IMO, people apply diminuitives to things/people for which they have affection, not necessarily as abbreviations. (Billy, Johnny, Bobby, etc.)

Since we are all very attached to our instruments, those nicknames (Ibby, Tribby, etc.) are just a way to personalize them to a degree.

Additionally, those same descriptions of basses are also a part of the "lingo" of guitars to a degree and using them can be an effort to show that you're part of the "inside" of the instrument world.

It may sound silly to some but it is what it is -- where's the harm?

15. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    What the Barkie guy says :)

I play a Steiny, and I own an Ibby guitar.
    I guess it depends on my mood, but sometimes it just feels more comfortable to abbreviate occasionally.

Plus, it gives variation. If I'm talking about my bass, I might end up typing Steinberger 10 times in a post. Since this sounds monotonous, I'll type XM2, and for a slightly different verbal feel, Steiny. You know, options.

16. It's like a cute pet name that you give your significant other... You do it because it makes you feel all warm, fluffy, and toasty inside... It's a great feeling :D :D :D

Say, what would you call a Peavey???

-ryan-

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think then you fall back to pig latin and call it an Eavey-Pay.

18. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I call my Peavey amp Snugglewuffums :)

19. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    I guess the abbreviations would stop if all luthiers with uncommon or hard to spell names would abbreviate themselves i.e. F-Bass, A-Bass, B-Bass, MTD, SSD. What gets me is names like Jerzy Drozd (what's with all the z's), Hanewinckel (reminds me of "the Fonz" everytime I read it), Eshenbaugh(too many vowels), or Skjold (too many consonants, not enough vowels) ... if only people with short common names would become luthiers i.e. Smith, Jones, James, Nelson, Roberts, Moore etc..;)

20. I am SO psychotically with you on this one. Acronyms and abbreviations annoy me because it isn't always clear on what they stand for... and for the most part, it's just people being lazy.