1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yancey Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Apr 4, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Hey, does anyone in here own a bass made by Greg Yancey? If so, how is the playability, tone and construction?

I already did a search and looked through a few pages. I don't have the time to read through 64 pages.

Anyway, I would love to know who has one of his basses and what you think about it. I have already emailed him for pricing info. I am interested in having him build me a 4 string.

Any info would be appreciated,

Mark

2. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Greg is based in Austin and has a couple of basses in stock at Bass Emporium. I have only played the Semi-Hollow fretless 5, and thought it played nicely, althought I didn't care for the strings on it. There is also a fretted 5 or 6 singlecut there which is also very nice. I haven't gotten a chance to play that, just look.

All and all they seem to be well made, with above average attention to detail. Sorry I don't have more details, but in my little experience I did have an overall positive perception.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I've played both. I thought the strings on the fretless were a good fit, but that's just personal taste. The neck was slim and super fast. Both were very high quality, and I would take them over a lot of stuff at BE.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Mark

I've had one in before and Greg does very nice work.

5. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Thanks B.

6. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    I own a Yancey 6 and it honestly is absolutely amazing. I really couldn't be happier with it. It is #17 in the gallery. Feel free to ask me any questions about it, but it will take a while to respond because im in Israel right now and dont get to use the internet to often.

7. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Thanks, PM me when you get back so we can chat.

Later...

8. I was just wondering this same thing today!

I was in conversation with Greg about basses before I decided to go with Stambaugh.

What caused the change of heart? I played a friend's Stambaugh and couldn't play a Yancey. Had I not had that exposure, I probably would have picked up the Yancey.

9. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes Chris has made many, many more basses than myself. Sometimes I wonder, like today for instance while I was sitting through a class learning how to program the ARM7TDMI microprocessor, if my time on Earth would be better spent making more basses, instead of learning the difference between the AHB and APB bus structure...

10. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

You don't sit around too long wondering about this stuff do you? :eek:

Personally I think you should make more basses!