Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yankees - Red Sox

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tappel, Oct 12, 2003.

1. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Anybody see game 3? The rivalry was getting kinda stale but, whoa!, game 3 was just plain nasty. I'd say we've seen a revival of the most famous rivalry in sports.

And who's crazier, Pedro Martinez or Don Zimmer? My vote's for Zimmer.

Tom

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yeah that was some pretty crazy stuff... especially the bullpen fight in the 9th

the whole thing in the 4th was totally uncalled for... the catcher lined up on the inside of the plate...but the pitch was not inside...it was just high

and as for teh Martinez/Zimmer thing...yeah Perdro threw him down...but in defense to Pedro, Zimmer was running at him to try and throw a punch...and the main reason he went down was cuase he was off balance, and his weight

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I still think Martinez shouldn't have pushed Zimmer away, he should've just moved aside and brushed Zimmer off, that was a really scary incident. Personally I was Martinez I would just skip away and tell Zimmer "You don't want to do this"

As to the question, who's "crazier", obviously Zimmer was at fault, he was the one who ran up to Pedro and he's almost 80.

Zimmer broke down during a press conference today when he said that he had embarassed the Yankees.

4. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    i saw the Zimmer/Martinez thing...but I didn't catch the whole game....Who won?

Please tell me the Yanks did!

5. yeah yeah, the friggin yanks won.. 4-3 :spit:

RED SOX!
    NOMAR!
    RED SOX!
    NOMAR!
    RED SOX!
    NOMAR!

6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    The Yankees did.

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
  8. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Holy cow what would happen if its cubs vs. red sox? The series that wasn't meant to happen.
    Personally i think before the first pitch of that game is thrown the world will end because it just can't happen.

But anyway i hate the yankees cause they beat my Twins. so go boston and cubs! woo hoo

9. It did happen. The Red Sox beat the Cubs in 1918 for their only world series win. Kinda freaky...

10. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA

YIPPIE!!!!!!!!!111

11. hahaha i just saw this incident on the news, thats friggin hilarious. i just dont see how people can get so worked up over a stupid (yes i said STUPID) game :p

12. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I find it amusing that you find a 72 year old man falling on the ground hilarious but then again its not that surprising considering the fact that it came from you.

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    You've heard of the "Funk Brothers"?

Well now theres the "Punk Brothers". But there're only two "members":

Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez. Manchild #1 and #2.

And BTW...Pedro grabbed Zim by the head and drove him to the ground. Punk.

Which one of them issued a tearful apology? Zimmer...of course.

As a Yankees fan, I have a lot of respect for the Red Sox and most of the team, especially Nomar. I feel really badly for him, as he has all the character that the Punk Bros. do not. If the Sox do not get past the Yanks, as I expect they will not, the blame will lay squarely at the feet of "Mr." Martinez. Supposedly he's commented that he'd like to finish his career in pinstripes. After this, Steinbrenner wouldn't sign him for 10 bucks a year...awesome abilities or no.

14. :rolleyes:

had he not ran at the other guy trying to attack him (or so it seemed) he would not have fallen. i didnt say him falling was funny, my point was that i find it funny when people get so into games and stuff and then get so worked up and violent over em. much in the same way i laugh at people who have road rage. i think its funny (and sad) that people get so googly over such little things. so your little (attempted) low blow was pretty ridiculous :meh:

15. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Well i thought the old man falling was hillarious! i can't help laughing when people fall, its just funny.

16. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Yeah ok. You should have stated that earlier and I don't know whats the deal with the (attempted lowblow, etc) thing you guys(Mike Money, etc) so often use these days and I could care less but I was simply responding to what you typed.. :rolleyes:

17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  18. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I can't agree enough with you. What Pedro did was inexcusible. For people who said he just brushed Zimmer off, obviously they didn't watch the game. He, like you've already said, clearly grabbed on Zimmer's head and considering the fact that Zimmer had a metal plate inserted to his head, that was really out of line. If he made a genuine attempt to dodge Zimmer and accidentally hit him in the process, fine, but he shouldn't grabbed the old man's head and threw him to the floor. Like I said, if I was Martinez I would have just skipped away and tell Zimmer "You don't want to do this"
    To his credit Martinez issued an apology and after it happened you can see it in his eyes that he was really sorry for what he did but again it shouldn't have happened. Martinez is an awesome pitcher but I could care less about that after what he did.

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Are they still playing baseball?:D

20. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Really? Where and when? As of now I've heard nothing about an apology from Martinez. I just did a Google search, and all I came up with is the fact that Zim apologized and Martinez has said squat. All I've seen is him being driven away from Fenway with that smug grin on his face.

Nearly game time so...the saga continues.

If there's a game 7, it'll be Roger vs. The Brat again!