Yard hand tools.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    So with buying comes yard work. Thankfully I only live on 50x 180ft lot so not too much yard work to be done. Being that I
    1. don't have much money to throw around
    2. Always doing something different from the masses.

I bought a reel push mower. I'm 24 and have never seen one of these, at first I had no clue how they worked. I have been cutting grass since I was 8 around the neighborhood always on a riding mower or a push mower. Well 80$ on amazon comes in and low and behold
    It actually works... Now my grass was all new sod and had not been cut in 3 weeks so it was a bit tough at first but not really bad and it's going to be much easier now that I'll cut it on a weekly. My friends laughed at me told me there's a reason people don't use them, but I can't find a good reason!! No motor issues, I can start cutting mine well before you get a gas powered started. It's cheaper, less maintenance.

I'm no good with a weed eater and edging, and edgers can be expensive. Went into lowes yesterday to get a spade shovel or half moon to do it by hang found this funky wheel edger, 25$ took it home, works GREAT! I mean I have a side walk and a driveway. As most people but I have Never seen anyone use these much cheaper manual tools.. Crazy?

Now what can I find to replace the weed eater as its my dads and I'll need one.. If I never have to fill jugs of gas that would be great.

2. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Grass shears will replace the weed eater. A nice leaf rake and a push broom will replace the leaf blower.

I cut my lawn for years with a reel mower. Good exercise and no noise pollution

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I pushed one of those reel mowers around when I was a kid, was probably 15 before we got our first motorized lawnmower.

4. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Inactive

Apr 2, 2013
    I think your trying to be frugal is interesting but is not always practical. IMO I would suggest taking in a foster child, preferably 12 - 14 yo male. The state will pay you and you would have free labor. This would also give you the monies to buy him a washboard, pail, scrub brush, and all the modern tools "of the day". This would also give you more time to devote to counting "how many squares" your family uses.

Being frugal is good. Being cheap is not. You will learn to buy quality yard equipment and tools, take excellent care of them and they will serve you for a loooong time. I've had a lawn mower last 34 years. A 39 year old snowblower, that's still in service. In the long run the cost per year was next to nothing.

I've also been married 40 years to the same woman.

When you find things that work, you stick with them.

;-/ got alot of old stuff.

5. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    But my 80$ lawn mower works GREAT, and from what I hear is healthier for the grass (I don't care that much)

So I appreciate your jab (not) but I'm finding people often buy more than they need or forget the alternatives. Works great for me no gas, no noise, no smell..
    Sharpen 1 blade ever 3-5 years? Made in merica.

Seems like a win win win

6. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    Lol living frugal is not practical. THAT'S A FUNNY ONE. Guess I SHOULD go buy more than I can afford on credit, must be more practical.

7. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Inactive

Apr 2, 2013
    Not exactly what I said, but that's ok. I think experience is the best teacher. Just my opinion. I don't know if you saw the post I made about our new house (1963). We had bed sheets hanging on the sliders and towels hanging for curtains. Had little more than a bedroom set. Our first purchase was a grandfather clock. Not the best decision we could have made. But it sure is funny today.
    I wish you guys all the good luck in the world.

;-/Paul

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

There isn't enough money to make me push a reel mower 10 feet. Electric or gas power mower ONLY for me. Reel mowers are a nightmare to keep sharp and to use if the grass gets tall. IMO a total waste of money on a technology that has been outdated for 70 years.

If I had a really tiny lawn, I'd get a battery-op power mower. Anything of any size? Gas-op power motor, self-propelled.

Battery powered weed eaters are available.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Old Ford 8N and various Stihl implements.

10. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    How are they a nightmare to keep
    Sharp?

And I used the electric weedeaters when I was young.

11. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Inactive

Apr 2, 2013
    One or two passes around the house and your done. You can also do hayrides on the weekends in the fall.

12. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    Those reel mowers cut grass just fine, very even, but don't let it get to high as you have already found out. There is a reason golf courses still use them although they're pulled by tractors! But what you need is a good name brand electric string trimmer an a 100' extension cord. Almost impossible to kill as long as you take care of them. Since you already have the shovel, gradually work in a yard and garden rake and maybe a hoe ( the farm implement!) and you're ready for about anything.

13. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Think of it as a gym membership that saves you money.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Depends on the size of your yard I spose.;)

15. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    Oh, reel mowers DO have to be sharpened, just ask anyone who works on a gold course. That's a lot of blades to grind on.

16. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Inactive

Apr 2, 2013
    I hate when I take a divot out when on the gold coarse. VERY EXPENSIVE.

;-/ ha ha ha

17. Watch the hand grips on the reel mower. Mine failed and I had a heck of a time finding something that would fit and not slide around.
    Tip for you, cleats work very well for pushing a reel mower, and they are less hard on your lawn than slipping soles grinding on your grass.

A good pair of hand shears will do thew weed whacker work just fine too - but they do take more time than a whacker. They are also easier on your plants and fence posts and whatever else you cut near.

I have a double wide driveway on a corner lot, and a good sized snowblower (I'm in MN btw) but I don't use it if there's less than 3 inches of new snow. It's just faster by hand with a good shovel, and I always finish with a shovel anyway. I also do not make mounds of snow right beside the sidewalk/driveway. I toss it out and away so it doesn't drift back in if it blows, or obstruct visibility.

18. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    Who said they didn't? As far as I know my mower has 1 sharp blade the rest are flat. And just push the grass into the sharp one.

19. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Yay 'Merika!

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Says a dude who drives a, gasp, gasoline powered car to his job every day.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021