Yard sale project bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ron Berenato, Jul 23, 2018.

1. I've been wanting a cheap project bass and I found this beauty for $40 Bucks at a yard sale. Its a Rogue precision copy. It sat outside in the hot Arkansas sun all day and the neck was still straight so I bought it on the spot. It feels just as heavy as any bass I've previously owned so I don't think its the crappy basswood but I'm not sure. I'm going to replace the hardware and the electronics. I want to keep it passive but I don't know which pickups would be best. I've read a lot about Seymor Duncan SP1's, but I REALLY like what I've read about Nordstrom pickups. I want an even vintage tone with a lot of response but not hot or aggressive. Any suggestions?

I'll be posting the upgrades as I complete them. IMG_6615.jpg

2. Probably not in the correct price range for a 40 dollar bass, but I really like aero pickps

3. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    I'm a huge fan of Wilde P46s. (A great pickup at a very good price.) I also quite like the EMG Geezer.

96tbird likes this.
  4. I'll look into them THANKS!

5. Just dug into it. Tuners and bridge look sturdy, but the electronics had to go. I'm gonna replace the white pick guard with either a black or tortoise shell. Unfortunately it looks like the body is made of pressed word or plywood. Might not be a good wood for any expensive mods like a graphite neck. It needs a new nut and I'm still monitoring the truss rod to see if the neck will hold once I set it. After much research I'm going to go with a passive Seymour Duncan SPB-1 or an EMG GZ set. If anyone has any suggestions or experience with a body like this and it's tonal qualities please advise. I'm excited to complete this rebuild and use it as my club bass. IMG_6650.jpg

Attached Files:

Zoobiedood likes this.
  6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The EMG Geezers might be the way to go since you need the pots, jack, etc. Also, make sure that bridge is grounded. I don’t see a bridge ground wire in the pics.

Slater likes this.
  8. THANKS! I was thinking the same way. With the body wood being what it is I didn’t want to go with a hot / high output pickup. And it does have the ground wire it’s just not visible in this photo.

9. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I wouldn't worry about the wood too much. all that matters is the way it sounds

Haroldo likes this.
  10. I was concerned that the wood would have a brighter sound than I wanted.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021