1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yard Sales

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bolophonic, Jun 8, 2014.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    We had a yard sale yesterday. Started setting up at 6am, pulled the plug at 11:30am, once we cleared the $500 mark. Everything unsold went to the curb and by mid-afternoon, there was nothing left except 3 cruddy P-bass pick guards. My basement is finally empty, my garage is empty, my shed is empty.

2. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    $500 to accumulate more tat.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Better than most yard sales.

DerHoggz likes this.
  4. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    I was lucky to clear $50 our last yard sale. Nice haul.

5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have had some really good ones and some where all I wound up with was a sunburn and a pile of stuff that nobody wanted. Between 2008 and 2012, you seriously couldn't give the stuff away. One thing I noticed was that upwards of 75-80% of the people who came were non-English speakers.

The best transaction by far: a guy pulled up in a truck and asked how much I wanted for a clunker bike sitting out front. I told him $5 (I REALLY didn't want to deal with it anymore) and the guy asked if I would trade him something for it. I asked what he had in mind and he said he'd trade me an Elvis record. It was so ludicrous, I had to take him up on it.

6. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    So... What are you gonna do with the P bass pickguards? ;)

7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
  8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    My neighborhood just had one last week and like most yard sales, most people had little, cheap crap that had been taking up space. I put out a set of aluminum rims (two with tires that have good tread), two Danish dining tables and chairs, a wall-mount garage heater (nat gas or propane) and my GK 400GT guitar amp. The wheels and tires got a lot of attention, but nobody had a vehicle that was compatible. The dining tables were admired, but most people were looking for something cheaper. I had brought the larger table outside earlier in the week to do something with the finish (looked worse than I remembered) and it wasn't done, so I decided that if I sanded it again and gave it a fresh coat of Tung Oil, someone would come along in 5 minutes and want to take it away. Well, it took a couple of hours, but I got a deposit and helped deliver it on Monday. I got my price and the husband said he didn't want to haggle. One guy told me my prices were high and I said "Do you see any cheap trinkets here?. I wasn't trying to see how little I could get, I wanted to get what this stuff is worth.

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I had a few things that I was sticking to my price on, but everything else was majorly negotiable. I am moving for the first time in 12 years, so even though my stuff was nice, it was just going to cost me even more in sanity and money to haul it to the next place and deal with it all over again. I only got haggled hard on a couple of things, and they weren't very important to me, anyway.

10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    I'm not planning to stay in the MKE area much longer and when I go, I won't be taking much with me. I don't feel any need to keep all of my furniture, just a few select pieces, so that can all go. Kitchen stuff- plates, glasses and other fragile stuff can go away without any hard feelings. I do have a lot of tools and woodworking machinery, though- that would be hard to replace AND it would cost a lot more than I paid, so it would come with me. I could probably drive a 24' U-Haul with most of what I want to keep, although the price I got from PODS was very good, so I would probably load my cargo van with the stuff I don't want someone else messing with and let them take the rest, so it can be left at the storage location until I need it.

I have been getting rid of things I don't use and about every six months, I look around to see what I really need- it's becoming much more manageable. I don't like moving so much that I want to make a career out of hoisting all of my stuff twice, or more.

When we had the estate sale at my parents' house, people told us that our prices were high and we just asked "So, do you want it?". We only had a few who wanted to low-ball and the rest were mostly fine with it.

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    For the really good stuff -- antiques or uncommon items, I always ask, "where are you going to find another one?"

12. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    We are moving and have decades of accumulation to sort, donate, trash, etc. the wife and I are incredulous how much we have accumulated. It's hard to part with it all yet if the house burned tomorrow with all of it in there, I would miss the pictures, some artwork and music gear.

So why can't I just trash the rest of it????

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Amen. I am wistfully recalling the first time I moved out on my own and all of my possessions fit into a Datsun hatchback.

14. I like yard sales, you can often find great deals on tools.

lowsound

15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Fact is, most people at these sales are bottom-feeding, which is not unreasonable when you consider:

1. The stuff is out there because the people don't want it, and it is not worth enough to Craigslist.
    2. They have no way of knowing if it works
    3. At the end of the day, if you don't sell it, you are either going to scrap it or haul it away.

Rarely, you find cool stuff, but most is junk - admit it. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be selling it.

Price accordingly.

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Agreed. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people sitting out all day, trying to get $5 for a chipped coffee mug or $10 for a lamp without a shade. At my sales, the super premium items are gone by 8 am and everything left is a buck or two. At this last sale, we didn't even bother to put out junk. In this climate, nobody is looking for another project.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It's OK, you can say IKEA. :D

-Mike

18. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Nope- I don't have an Ikea here and the table/chairs I sold belonged to the first Jamo speaker rep in this area, who bought it from the importer (Taifo Til- they also imported for Hans Hansen at that time) in about '81 and I got it from some friends who were moving to Phoenix and they took mothing but their clothes and smaller items they wanted to keep. The other came from a Scan Designs store, which sold items that came from the same importer- the manager & I knew some of the same people working for the importer. I worked for the second Jamo dealer in the US and wired their booth at the '82 CES show in Chicago, which is where I met them. Last time I went to that store, the same table I have was on sale for $900. Since I bought mine in the early-'80s, it was a lot less, but with inflation....

I have a couple of Ikea pieces, but they aren't as cheesy as the last piece I saw- cardboard top and bottom with some kind of solid crap at the edges and where screws go. The ones I have actually look decent- the dresser is White Oak veneer. Realistically, it serves a purpose, but if I was starting out and wanted decent furniture, I would scour rummage sales and resale shops for the pieces, then refinish the ones that need it.

However, if you want something really basic-

http://artboom.info/design/cardboard-furniture.html

19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    I just bought a Craftsman 5" bench vise for $5 at a yard sale because I didn't want to pay $80, or more. It's in great condition, too. I'm making a tubular steel mount, so I can insert the mount in the receiver of the trailer hitch on my work van. I'm tired of trying to hold onto pipe, conduit and pieces of wood when I cut them.

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Wifey LOVES yard sales. We go together and I'm her conscience. When she begins to eye something with bad intent I ask her if she's really sure we need another hen and rooster S&P shaker set and she deflates and moves on, In fairness she has scored some seriously good stuff so it all evens out in the end.