Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yardsales......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I posted a while ago about my fantasy of finding Jaco's bass at a yard sale for 25 bucks. I still fantasize about that and realized the other day that my love of yard sales comes from a little more than just that.....

I'm having a yard sale this saturday cuz I'm moving from a 6 room house to a studio. Gettin rid of tons of stuff as is my Aunt who lives upstairs and my parents who live next door - they're selling the houses. In cleaning out 60 years worth of crap from both houses I came across some pretty interesting stuff:

A couple of shooting gallery games from the early 70s that were never opened, a REALLY OLD Sears outboard boat engine that works, a bunch of 78 rpm records from when I think records were first invented, typewriters, movie projectors, vintage tools - I mean, tons of crap. Soooo... anyhow, it's junk to me. I'm going to wind up selling this stuff for next to nothing and I'm SURE there's someone out there who'd do flips and pay big bucks for some of these things. I haven't the time nor patience to figure out what everything is worth and try to sell it. I just gotta get rid of it.

What's my point? Can you imagine how many people out there bought their kids P and Jazz basses in the 60s and 70s that were never used and are probably selling them for pennies cux they don't know any better. I'm selling a boat engine like that! I'm gonna sell some records for a buck that might be worth $100. Ohhhhh I hope the laws of kharma are in good working order..... I think I may have some of these abandoned basses in my future....

That's all.

2. You oughta hear some of the stories over on the MIMF. One guy found an old (late 60's) P bass in a dumpster!!

3. I always had that dream that I would come across a P-bass with the serial number 3 or something like that in a yard sale. So far I've only come across Ibanez soung gears and Fender Acoustics. Why the hell do so many people have Fender acoustics?

4. yeah, I have this fantasy about finding a really awesome Zon sonus with a buckey burl top fretless 5 string somewhere for around $1000.:( :D

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I have fantasies about getting free Warwicks and MTD's and Zons! Well, not really, but I sure would like one!:D

6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I have fantasies too, but if I mentioned them I might break forum rules! :eek: :rolleyes:

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've had very good luck at yardsales, from $1000 speakers for $40 to a complete SVT rig for $150.

It's no fantasy;)

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I had i dream of buying a hanewinckel for $500. I HAD a dream. :D New dream: finding a midget-size half stack worthy of the hanewinckel for $500 :D
    Dream #2: finding a fretless hanewinckel for $500.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Your dream's no too far off... wasn't there a fretless 6 Hanie listed for $1000 recently. That's really inexpensive. This market sucks.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have fantasies about driving somewhere in the midwest, and coming across an old drug store that has one of those tube-testers, and a cabinet chock-full of NOS American-made 6L6's, 12AX7's and exotics. I say to the guy, "Take 20 bucks for 'em all?" He says, "Gimme the 20 and get 'em the hell out of here."

tplyons likes this.
  11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA

Yep, always set your goals and dreams low, that way you can't be disappointed. :D

12. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i have dreams about finding ANY kind of bass amp around or a p-bass, just something...... i need SUBSTANCE!

and, yeah, there sure are lots of fender acoustic guitars. mostly i think that 40 year old guys who finally tell themselves that they will play guitar, so they go out, and find a fender. oh well, im too tired for good writing tonight

goodnight
    slicks

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think I've got all that stuff.

14. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I'd like to belive it. Out here in California, you have to get up at 5:00 a.m. and really rush around because there are so many "professional" shoppers who sweep stuff up, pack their pickups and Aerostars and head down to the swap meet to sell it all off.

I'm afraid all we're going to see are yard sales littered with $200 Squires and Ibanez purchased from Guitar Centers over the past couple of years.

How many basses did Fender produce in the 60s?

15. Would that $20 also cover the tube tester? :)Man, it won't be long before no one will have a clue as to what you've just described.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Here in Maryland, at least in Montgomery county, people are very leisurely about yardsales. And hey, I have an Aerostar and I've never been to a swapmeet:D

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have simmilar hopes. Which is why I cruise Mom and Pop pawn shops (better deals than the chain ones), and usually the huge Saturday fleamarket once a month ish.

Never seen any amazing deals. Some good ones, some ok ones, and some that were just average. I keep hoping for that 100 bass that's worth 800 or something.

18. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    This is off topic. I had an Aerostar. Worst car of all time. :mad: We replaced EVERYTHING, from the engine to the electric window motors.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :( That would be a beautiful, beautiful dream.:(

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Cool. Mine belonged to my mother. 1993 and still in very good running and cosmetic shape. it has 101k miles on it and other than tires, brakes (once), wipers and two batteries my most major repair is the water pump, belts and hoses I'm getting done tomorrow. And the damned thing gets high 20's mpg.

No complaints here.