1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yardwork Headphones

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fiset, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    A couple of years ago a friend gave me a pair of the (lesser expensive) Bose headphones. For the past few summers I've used these headphones when doing summer yardwork. So plenty of exposure to direct hot sun and sweat. As shown in the pic below, the cushions around each phone have become flaky (and subsequently uncomfortable) so I'm looking for suggestions for headphones to replace these. You guys use anything thats worked out well for you when exposed to the summer elements? (Not interested in ear buds, I like full ear coverage when doing yardwork.)

IMG_20150329_114223_zpso1pxcz0z.

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you like the headphones can't you just get replacement ear cushions?

3. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Beats me....doesn't look like a simple thing to change out but I could be wrong. Even so though, the cord has also become sort of permanently bunched. I'm hoping to find something better suited for summer heat.

4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I don't wear headphones while doing yardwork, but wear shooter's ear protection while lawn mowing. They have a vinyl material instead of a fabric/leather material on the ear foam side. The vinyl hasn't broken down in the direct hot sun.... the direct hot sun.
    I could suggest using Vic Firth drummer's headphones. They basically took shooter ear protection, put headphone speakers on the inside and a wire out one end.

sissy kathy likes this.
  5. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I have some Bose headphones that did the same thing. Not from sweat or sun, they just started flaking away after a few years. Replacements ear cushions from Bose were around $35, way overpriced. I got some off of ebay for much cheaper that were just as good. They just snap off and snap on the new ones.

6. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I use earbuds under full coverage ear protection. You may have to experiment with different types to make sure everything fits together, but this works well for me.

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

8. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated!