Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$#!& yardwork!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jul 30, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    *rant on*

Yay, my first experience in lawn care as a home owner. What a PIA :)

I've been in my house for a few months, but one of my neighbor's was kind of enough to mow my lawn too when he was doing his, as I didn't have a working mower at the time. I lucked out and my grandmother gave me an old ride on mower that she had that hadn't been used in about 7 years. It was in good condition, but just needed to be fixed up. So, I called a local repair place to have it picked up and fixed. A new battery, blade, tires, starter mower and $423 things later, I get the mower. Last night it wouldn't start, so I called the place back and they helped me out. It turns out the manual lies and you don't have to do EVERYTHING it says. Whatever. Finally I get the mower started. Considering the fact that I'm short and was having a hard time reaching the brake, I was able to use my crutch on the brake pedal and I installed an extra "suicide knob" on the steering wheel so I could steer with one hand :)

Everything is fine until all of a sudden the mower just stalls. It notice that the bags are full and grass is starting to back up. No biggie. I get our waste management barrell and dump half the grass into the barrell, and the other half onto myself (son of a...). After cleaning up, I get back on the mower...it won't start (sob x2). FINALLY, about 5 minutes later, it starts and I finish up the front lawn. Onto the side la....it stalls again...won't start (this is getting rediculous). Another 5 minutes later, it starts back up and I start the side of the house. I'm just about to finish that and go to the back lawn when it stalls AGAIN, while I'm trying to get up a tiny slope in the back. ANOTHER 5 minutes later it starts and I continue on. This time during my time in the back yard, it either keeps sputtering like it's going to stall for a few seconds, then keeps on going, or stalls completely. After 10 minutes this time of letting it sit, I finish the back lawn, and I start to drive around to the front again because I missed a spot. I cut the spot I missed and then it dies AGAIN. This time it won't start...it won't even turn on, almost like the battery is dead (turn the key and you hear nothing). So now I have to push the mower all the way around the house (can't take the short route because that's where the slope is and I won't be able to control it).

So now finally I have the mower back to where I keep it. It's dirty, I'm even dirtier, it won't start, I'm sore, sweaty and have a headache. On top of that my fiance calls and tells me to come over to the "after bridal shower party"...yea I'll be right over.. :rolleyes: I think I should hire someone to do this next time.. *lol* :)

*rant off*

2. Old used riding mowers are seldom a bargain....and yes, yard work sucks.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    You could have just bought a push mower from Sears for $150 and saved a buge headache ya know :D

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya, screw after bridal shower parties. You're gonna have to wake up next to her for god knows how long... I'd drink beer and "forget" to go over. :p

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea but I wanted something that would be easier for me to use so I could share the responsibility too (I try to do all I can within my limitations). Either way though, $400 for a bagger ride on mower is still a good deal, considering I think a new one is atleast $1500. My grandmother wanted to pay for whatever the repairs cost, but seeing as she wasn't letting me pay HER for the mower, I couldn't let her do that.

I'm still learning about operating it though. So it may have been that I had it in too low of a speed going up the slope and that caused it to stall, and also the gas is getting alittle low, which may be a factor.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Eh, dude... leaving clippings on the lawn creates thatch. Which bonds together. Which means water cant get through to the uncut grass. then your grass dies. ya.

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh I wasn't aware of that. The only problem I see with it is that the clippings make a mess on the lawn. Whenever the neighbor would do it, I'd wind up with grass piles all over the place :)

Is a lawn sweeper something that you have to buy specific to that mower or can it be hooked up to any?

I just meant that a bagger mower is probably atleast $1500. That's what they paid for this one back in '92. (I actually have the receipt) *lol*

Right now I just have to find out where the sob keeps stalling. A few times which I didn't mention (because that would've taken too long), it stalled due to error on my part (learning how to work the thing). I found out that if I don't lift the deck when putting it into reverse, it stalls, if I put the throttle down too far, it stalls etc.. I'm HOPING that if I just have to keep the tank alittle more full, and maybe give it more power when going up a slope, that it'll be ok.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Only if your grass is unkept, and not cut until it's long.

-Ray

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea I was looking into that. Why would this be a better answer than the bag system that the mower already has though? Emptying it isn't really an issue, I just have to get a seperate barrell for the clippings and remember to empy the bags sooner. My problem was that I didn't know it would get full so fast :)

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Another side thought: if the engine hasn't been run in a long time prior to you running it, then stalling can be a couple of things fuel related. If you're handy with a carb, take it out and make sure the floats aren't sticking, it's set correctly. Then, just make sure there's no gunk in the lines and such. I'm not saying this IS your problem, but it might be part of it.

-Ray

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh I forgot to ask. Does anyone know of something sort of like a leaf blower, but it sucks up leaves and clippings? Just something hand held. I need something easier for when I have to rake after weed wacking.

12. Just cheaper, perhaps, to get a $900 mower and a $280 sweeper, than to pay $2000 for a mower with a bagger.

13. Yes you can get leaf blowers that convert into a vacuum, mine does--but I never use the vacuum attachment, the bag is too small to be practical.

14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea I'll consider that if I ever have to get another mower. I thought you were suggesting it as an alternative to the system I have now.

15. I'm currently doing a BUTTLOAD of yardwork. To the point where it just looked like it was never gonna get done and I almost cried.

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Then again... CA is pretty dry... so maybe the grass doesn't degrades slow thus making it damaging?