Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YAY! A Dean PERFORMER PLUS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Sep 2, 2005.

1. This ABG is awesome.....quite loud when unplugged, and the Dean preamp is really solid and versatile. I got mine in black finish, and cosmetically, it's gorgeous. Nice abalone inlays. And with a pick, the great tone that Brian Ritchie of the Violent Femmes has on their debut is easily achieved. I LOVE THIS THING! Bought it at Apple Music in Portland, Oregon, for only $279- and it retails for $429! I reccommend this highly to anyone seeking a solid acoustic/electric investment. :bassist: :D

2. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    how loud is the bass unplugged? loud enough to jam with an acoustic guitar or two adn still be heard a little, doesnt need to shine over htem, jsut be able to be heard.

Also, has the bass given you any troubles with feedback?

3. I haven't jammed with any more than one guitar yet- and it was good. As for unplugged volume, that depends on your attack. A pick can help if you're really concerned about being heard. Two guitars wouldn't be too hard to handle, I wouldn't think.

As for feedback, no. It actually has an anti-feedback clip on its preamp.

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Do you have any soundclips?

Does this bass come in a 5 string fretless versoin aswell?

5. No clips. As for the 5-string fretless, I know they make a four-string fretless and a five-string fretted, but ....I guess you'll have to investigate the rest, hmm?

6. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I found the four string fretless version, and the five string, but I honestly cant find a five string fretless version.:(

7. Shucks.....could get a the fiver and pull a Jaco and rip out the frets, right? :eyebrow: :D

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    lol just might have to...but I prefer the look of an unlined...oh well doesnt matter to much. Is it jsut me or does the fretless have a different headstock then the standard?

Also how is the pre-amp? Ive been told a fishman preamp is wat seperates the good form the bad...

9. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    I owned one for a couple days, then sent it back.It was a pretty thing all quilted maple,the E string rattled and was sloppy,I got feed back when I adjusted the EQ too low and with just fingers unplugged it wasn't very loud. I got it as a closeout but it was $500. way to much for this bass.I think Dean dropped this model and only sells cheaper models.

10. Mine has the Dean Preamp- a Shadow P7, I think. And it works FINE, I've had no feedback issues. Also, its "Sub Bass" control is handy for controlling the LOWEST frequencies. Yes, the bass is kinda rattly, but I dig it. It sounds damn loud enough for me unplugged. I was on a budget.....and people, please, if you have the cash, go blow a grand on a Tacoma Thunderchief.