1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

YAY! A Dean PERFORMER PLUS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Sep 2, 2005.

1. This ABG is awesome.....quite loud when unplugged, and the Dean preamp is really solid and versatile. I got mine in black finish, and cosmetically, it's gorgeous. Nice abalone inlays. And with a pick, the great tone that Brian Ritchie of the Violent Femmes has on their debut is easily achieved. I LOVE THIS THING! Bought it at Apple Music in Portland, Oregon, for only $279- and it retails for $429! I reccommend this highly to anyone seeking a solid acoustic/electric investment. :bassist: :D

2. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    how loud is the bass unplugged? loud enough to jam with an acoustic guitar or two adn still be heard a little, doesnt need to shine over htem, jsut be able to be heard.

Also, has the bass given you any troubles with feedback?

3. I haven't jammed with any more than one guitar yet- and it was good. As for unplugged volume, that depends on your attack. A pick can help if you're really concerned about being heard. Two guitars wouldn't be too hard to handle, I wouldn't think.

As for feedback, no. It actually has an anti-feedback clip on its preamp.

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Do you have any soundclips?

Does this bass come in a 5 string fretless versoin aswell?

5. No clips. As for the 5-string fretless, I know they make a four-string fretless and a five-string fretted, but ....I guess you'll have to investigate the rest, hmm?

6. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I found the four string fretless version, and the five string, but I honestly cant find a five string fretless version.:(

7. Shucks.....could get a the fiver and pull a Jaco and rip out the frets, right? :eyebrow: :D

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    lol just might have to...but I prefer the look of an unlined...oh well doesnt matter to much. Is it jsut me or does the fretless have a different headstock then the standard?

Also how is the pre-amp? Ive been told a fishman preamp is wat seperates the good form the bad...

9. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    I owned one for a couple days, then sent it back.It was a pretty thing all quilted maple,the E string rattled and was sloppy,I got feed back when I adjusted the EQ too low and with just fingers unplugged it wasn't very loud. I got it as a closeout but it was $500. way to much for this bass.I think Dean dropped this model and only sells cheaper models.

10. Mine has the Dean Preamp- a Shadow P7, I think. And it works FINE, I've had no feedback issues. Also, its "Sub Bass" control is handy for controlling the LOWEST frequencies. Yes, the bass is kinda rattly, but I dig it. It sounds damn loud enough for me unplugged. I was on a budget.....and people, please, if you have the cash, go blow a grand on a Tacoma Thunderchief.