Yay and damn it at the same time

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, May 6, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I just saw some of this semester's grades. I had an economics class that was hard. Well, the material itself wasn't hard, but the way the class was organized made it difficult (professor wasn't a native English speaker, class was based on a cumulative point system and getting points was hard, the way the tests were formatted made it very difficult to study for, etc.). I knew I would pass the class, but I was expecting to earn a B or something. I just looked at my grades that have come in, and I got an A in the class.

That's great, but I saw that I got an A- in my sociology class. It wouldn't bother me so much, but I was carrying a 4.0 up until then and now there's no possible way to graduate with a perfect GPA. In a way, I was expecting to drop below a 4.0 anyways because of the econ class, but it bites that I was so close to not dropping below and I probaly missed it by a point or two (class was based on three exams. I got an A on the first two. I probaly got an A- on the last one). I know that I can't get mad at myself over it, because I don't feel I could have studied anymore for the exam. I'm just a perfectionist though, and it bothers me. I would like to try and win a Marshall scholarship for graduate school, and having a perfect GPA would have been nice for that.

Well, just wanted to vent. :D
  2. I wouldn't get too worried about it...sounds like you're doing pretty well to me. Where do you go to school, LM?
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, I know. My school's couselor told me last semester that there will be times that I don't get an A. I just have high expectations of myself. I guess it's because I've been out in the "Real World" before, so I'm highly driven to succeed. My mantra is "I live in a nepotistic society and I don't have the right last name, so I have to excel with my talents if I want to make it anywhere." :D

I go to Lock Haven. I'm at Lock Haven's branch campus in Clearfield, though.
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You're doing fine. It's great to have high expectations, and keep those, but make sure not to dwell on this, it will affect your marks as you move forward.

Also, if you're hoping for the perfect GPA for grad school, don't forget that extra-curricular activities will be included. Depending upon what area you're going into, (I know, we still haven't talked!), you may want to get some community volunteer experience in, (over the summer perhaps), get into Honors clubs, (which it sounds like you're able to do with your great GPA), and become involved in campus life.

Many people can get a very high GPA, but you must round your academic resume out with other activities.
  5. Ah, Lock Haven...good wrestling, at least at the main branch. I had a few teachers in high school who graduated from there, and they were all wrestling coaches, in addition to being good teachers. I wasn't aware LH had branch campuses - my younger brother was considering applying there, so I'll let him know that he should consider a branch campus as a possible alternative.

If you ever get something lower than an A-( :p ), I'd recommend ordering one of these things and eating your sorrows away, being as you're probably pretty close to this place:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7720569/?GT1=6542 :D
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah Jbo, we really need to talk. :D

You're definatley right though. I want to garner a little campus employment to put on my resume. I've been a professional musician for the past 2 -3 years, and haven't worked a "real job" in a while, so I want to have some more "real" employment to put on my resume. My counselor wants me to join honors, but the honors classes are only at main campus, so I may wait until my junior year to do that (I'll graduate with a certain designation because of that, I forget what it is).

Tim, Lock Haven's only branch campus is at Clearfield. Currently, you can only earn Associate degrees right now (business, IT, criminal justice, nursing, and a few others). I have heard rumours of a four year program being introduced there in which one will be able to earn a general liberal arts degree, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while. I'm doing most of my gen eds (and the occasional core class which comes around) at Clearfield, and then I'll matriculate at main campus for the rest of my degree. You need to have a language to earn a BA at Lock Haven, so I'm going to start taking summer language classes after next semester (I was a business student in high school, so I never had a language). Clearfield's primarily a commuter campus with a large amount of nontraditional students (many which are nursing students, which is what the school is mainly used for), but there is a small residence hall on campus. Clearfields a little cheaper than main. Your brother could start at Clearfield and then matriculate at main (granted that he's earning a BA or BS).

BTW: Where's Meadville. Is that up by Johnstown? I played a gig in Johnstow last weekend at a place called Westmont Gardens.
  7. Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along to my brother and let him think it over a while. He's got a bit of time to decide, but he'll be a senior in high school next year, so he needs to start thinking about this sort of thing seriously.

Meadville is actually about 25 miles south of Erie - I go to college here at Allegheny. My hometown of Armagh, however, is about 10 or 15 miles outside of Johnstown, so I know the area fairly well. Westmont is (in my limited experience there) a rather rich section of J-town; my school used to compete against them in AA sports. There are some cool bands that play a lot in Johnstown, namely the Desperados(their catalogue is ridiculously extensive). A friend of mine plays bass in a Johnstown-based band called Lucid Confusion, and they're pretty good too, despite their singer. Let me know if you have any gigs up that way this summer, I'll come check it out if I can manage it. :)
  8. A school full of nursing students. That sounds terrible. :D
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, you mentioned the Desparadoes before, so that's why I was curious as to whether you lived near J-Town. Westmont did seem pretty posh. Westmont Gardens is a cool club though. Everyone has told me that Johnstown is a rough place to gig, but the crowd we had was pretty decent for our first time in town. I've honestly played to the chairs and tables in Altoona.

We seem to do our best at these little clubs out in BFE. The crowds are always appreciative and the PLCB seems to leave those places alone (I'm sure you're aware of all the PLCB nonsense :rolleyes: )

Westmont Gardens wants to work with us, so we'll probaly be booking some more dates soon. I'll be sure to let you know the next time we're up there (probaly the next closest place we play is in Marion Center, a club called the Rayne Drop Inn).