Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yay!!! Another Sunn is MINE!!! (200s with pics inside)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Sep 21, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really wanna thank Ken/Reverend179 at HCBF (once again) for getting this for me. My money order to him is in the mail for it, and I can't wait to get it from him. It'll be used as a PA amp until I get another bass cab, and then i'll be having LOTS of fun with it. :cool:

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Complete with the "Secret Weapon" Polarity Switch!

Wow!

3. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    what does that switch do?

and if you don't mind me asking, how much does such a high quality amp like that cost?

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I got it for only $220, plus 15 bucks to Ken for Jack Daniels & hookers. I haven't sent him money for shipping yet, and that's probably going to be about 40 bucks. My other Sunn, a Sceptre, was only $200 from fellow TBer speddling. Used Sunns can be found cheap if you look hard enough. While that amp was more overdriven sounding, this should be much cleaner, and have a far deeper & tighter low end (this one is a dedicated bass amp). I'll use this one for clean lows, & the Sceptre for the strong driving mids & highs (which it's best at). Now I just need to buy Ray Saloman's Sunn 215B with JBLs to go along with this, for the perfect rig. :bassist:

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Who's that :confused:

:p Congrats Sean!!!

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Looks exactly like my Sorado, awesome amps!

7. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    I bought one in 67 with the bottom it was about $700 bucks.
    I actually always liked the sound of the bottom with a Fender Dual Showman head better. But i would like to have a 2000S as a momento.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    This one has a tube rectumfrier though, the Sorado's rec is solid state. I hear converting it to SS however bumps it up to 90-100 watts, though.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great acquisition! A friend of mine had one of these back in the '70s, and I got to use it at some jam sessions a few times. It has awesome tube-style tone. I recall that it had a nice warm and musical growl when you turned it up.

:D :p :D

10. Congrats! How can you describe their tone?

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    B.e.a.utiful if it's as good as my Sorado that is.

12. Flashback,

I actually hauled my Ampeg V4B cabinet down to a music store to try one of these, used at the time. Ended up buying a Peavey 400. Cool gear though. That dang V4B folded horn was wierd, it wasnt loud at all until about 15' out from the cabinet and there it shook paneling off the walls.

13. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Nice score! The old Sunns are really nice amps. I have a '68 1000s guitar head that I picked up in a trade in the early 70's. A good friend of mine restored it to its former glory and added switchable impedances and a 3- prong plug. I also managed to find the correct footswitch on ebay for the reverb and vibrato. Even though it's a guitar amp it still sounds pretty good for bass. Too bad it's so brutal to haul around - it weighs a ton.

Last summer we did a gig outdoors and I brought it along. Had it dimed into an Aguilar 2x12 cabinet using an active Status bass - what a tone! Copped Papallardi to a tee!!! There's nothing like the sound of overdriven tubes (4x6550).

Though they might not have all the bells and whistles of a modern amp they are great sounding and well built. The early ones cost a pile of money in their day!!! Here are a couple of cool sites with info:

http://www.richbriere.com/The_Sunn_Shack.htm

http://dangpow.com/~sunn/

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    My Sceptre has the vibrato & reverb as well, I also bought a footswitch seperate on eBay (cost 50 bucks). The reverb is useless, although I think something may be wrong with it. The vibrato (mislabeled; it's actually tremolo) however kicks ass and is a great bass effect, especially when using feedback. I love my Sceptre! It's so loud, I couldn't imagine having a 1000s & a 2000s! Boy, that'd be a helluva rig! :eek::hyper:

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ballsy clean. Ballsier when you crank 'em.

16. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    You are correct - the vibrato is mislabeled, but works great for bass. The reverb works best with guitars, though it's not as intense as, say, the reverb from a Fender Twin. I believe this is because the springs are much shorter - there wasn't much room left after the transformers went in. ;)

I'm pretty nervous about lending mine to my guitar player - I wouldn't want to be nearby when he finally got it to overdrive!
    These early ones were made with Dynaco parts, and Dynaco ruled Hi-Fi back then. Great stuff!!

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea those amps don't like to hit overdrive until t's cranked to 11 Spinal tap style.

18. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Wow, lau-lau! Looking at that illustrious grand relic, for some reason I envisioned Jefferson Airplane, Jack Casady and his hollow body Gibson, playing through YOUR Sunn at the Monterrey Pop Festival back in 1967. Now... I don't know if 'ol Jack was blowing through a Sunn at the time, but that's the vision I got, and your pics inspired it... :D

You're too cool for polar bears, Ox... :cool: Enjoy your new-found treasure!

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Jack used 200s & 2000s heads, that's how he got that monstrous sound!!!

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I had a sunn sceptre head, and matching sunn 4x12 or whatever cab about 15 years ago. I couldn't afford an amp to gig with at the time, and someone had left it deserted it our house for a couple years (someone that used to come over to jam with my brother).

Man I hated that amp, what a pile-o-crap it sounded like. Not sure what I traded it for, but I remember being quite glad to get rid of it. Surprisingly, I still got a lot of compliments on tone from sound men.

YMMV