Yay for shure 58s

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gulice, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    Im just sharing my enthusiasm for these great great mics that have a great great price
  2. Hmm. I've always thought that they sound absolutely terrible. Every concert I've been to where the singer is using an SM58, the vocals have come out as a nasally whine, the lyrics totally obscured.

Now, the SM57, that's a great, versatile mic. But the 58? It's the industry standard because coked-up lead singers can swing it around and it won't break, not because it sounds good.
  3. Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    ya well were not great singers so i wouldnt know how the mic was...but ill say this i dropped it off a 2nd story balcony it lived... i dropped a sm57 off the stand it broke
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I like the SM58's for vocals, and even more the 57's for micing just about anything, you know what you get. But as the Beta series is coming down in price, soon there will be no reason to not go there instead.

The power of tradition is strong though, I'm sure there are many other mics that would work as well or better, if people just took the time to try them and had the courage to choose differently.
  5. I bought several PG58 for $48 including shipping from an eBay seller... could not pass up the deal.

Yes, the PG58 uses a different mic cartridge and the response curve rolls off higher up. That aside, the PG series is still built like a tank (all metal) and sounds VERY good for a live band. This price puts the PG58 at less than half the price (shipped) of the SM58.

Even better, the PG58 comes with an on/off switch as standard equipment. Also comes with a carry pouch, mic stand adater, and 20 foot XLR cable.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They're OK, but ...

7. Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    *sigh* dont blame me for not having the money to buy that stuff lol
  8. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    i work at a television station, and they sware by the sm58s. but thats only for taping television stuff, not professionally recording music or anything of that sort.

but my question is, which is better for recording and live sound for a bass guitarist, drums, and lead gutiarist. my main point is, which is the most versatile for a basic rock band live and recording sound?
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Now that Munji has succeeded at making my meager collection of 3 SM57, 4 SM58, and 2 Sennheisers, I think I'll go sit in the corner and mope. Sometimes I can't help but wonder why I have these, though. I don't ever sing. Well, as little as possible.
  10. Don't sweat having SM58 or even the lowly PG58 I use. Everybody makes so much fuss over their various bass cabinets, I have a feeling the difference in mics will never be heard in a live situation.

Also, that pretty little carrying case makes it very easy for a bad guy to pick it up and wander off with it. Then all those expensive mics will create expensive tears.

I managed to leave a ratty suitcase in the parking lot at San Francisco airport one time. Got all the way home before I discovered I'd left two Nikons, six lenses, and a motor drive sitting in a parking stall. When I called the garage, they said it was still there. Ugly old case... nobody wanted it, so I had them hold it until I got back to retrieve it.
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    On the topic of mics; bassist fuss over cabinets, strings and EQ, guitarrists over distorsion, drummers over snare drums and cymbals. But singers, whose instrument is their voice, comes in (usually late, after the PA has been carried from the car and set up :)) and asks: 'What mic do I use'? :D
  12. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    As stated before, the SM57 ... you can use it on everything.
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The SM57 is the best microphone if you are looking at versatility and cost.

I use mine for snare, guitar cabs, classical guitar and shakers. Yesterday I used it on kick drum with a nutboy punk drummer. I've seen them used as overheads and I've used one as an ambient mic.

Yes condensers will do some of these jobs better but for the money?

The rumour goes that all the vocals on the album Thriller were recorded with a SM57!!!
  14. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I sing through SM57's quite often and like 'em a lot. They may not be 'IT' as far as vocal mics go, but they sure are versatile workhorses. I always keep a 57 on hand for backup in case I need it.
  15. I scored a Shure SM10a headset mic from eBay yesterday. It is new, and designed for singing drummers or keyboard players (and now for bass players).

It appears to be similar in response to the PG58s that I currently own. I have to build an on/off switch and some sort of belt clip box to connect it to a standard mic cable.