Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yay for the 1x10 + 1x12 rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I posted re: getting my Eden 1x12. It's a nice cab. I'm digging it.

However, I think the main discovery I've had in the last few days is how awesome the 1x12 + 1x10 rig is. I'm running the Eden in conjunction with my SWR 1X10 (from my Clarus that, is) and it's so perfectly voiced for jazz. I think alot of people are going to start getting into this setup...the cabs work great together and it's not much to lug around if you've got fairly light cabs.

It's warm and clear and seems to work really well for fretless...I haven't ever used my fretless on a gig and really been satisfied with the sound, but with this setup it kills.

I'm wondering if a 1x8 + 1x12 setup might be good too? Or maybe a 2x8 + 1x12 setup?

Anyway, thought I'd put it out there and see if anybody else is digging this rig as well for jazz or whatever. I feel like I could cut a fusion date with it without much trouble.

Will

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I totally agree that a 1x10/1x12 combo can be a great thing. Personally, my Epi T-112 and T-110UL sound far better together than either do on their own. 8's and 10's pair up fairly well, also (like VL-208 with either VL-110 or VL-210). 8's and 12's seem to generally be pretty punchy together. At least that's the impression that I get from my Mesa Boogie Powerhouse, Jr., which has 4x8 and 1x12. I could see a 2x8 and 1x12 (separate cabs) being a good combo, too. But in general, a 1x10 and a 1x12 is, in my opinion, one of the more magical combinations out there.

Tom.

3. Very interesting. I recently bought an EBS NEO-112 and my original plan was to get another one as soon as my wallet recovers. But maybe the NEO-110 would be better choice. They are both incredible cabs and the nice thing is that they have similar footprints so my rig wouldn´t look like a pyramid ;) Anyone here using two NEOs?

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

What kind of volume can you get on a 110/112 combo? Seems kinda small to me but I would *love* it for transport reasons if it was a good setup.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    At least with my Epi's, the T-112/T-110UL will push enough air for smaller stages, but not for larger gigs. However, two T-112's will move a disproportionately greater volume of air (or at least that's how it seems). Both T-112's with the T-110UL constitute a fairly portable and quite potent rig.

Tom.

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Jim Bergantino struck gold with his HT322 cabinet which houses 1X12 and 2X10's plus horn. Mind blowing performance in one cabinet. It is truly the one cabinet does it all! I own one. the only downside is all the weight is in one box. Stands to reason a stand-alone 1X12 paired with a 1x10 would be good, and with 2x10's would be even greater.

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I feel like I've got alot of volume with this setup, though with my trio I don't really need it. I'm getting the 4 ohm load out of my Clarus, with the two cabs.

I didn't realize the lows and mids I was missing just using 2x10's (or more recently a 1x10 for upright and small electric gigs). I feel like I've still got the clarity, but now it hits you in the gut a bit as well. This Eden cab is really really punchy and deep, though I don't think I'd use it stand alone.

The SWR cab is a bit lower in sensitivity (3db), so I might look for another 1x10. Thinking about getting something from LDS with an 8", 5" and tweeter for the highs...

Will