Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YAY! Got mi Thumb!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrbungle, Feb 8, 2004.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    And it's one of the most amazing basses I've played. It's '94 model, It has The_Sound(tm), ovangkol body, wenge neck, old brass just-a-nut. The ovangkol is not as figured as on the current models, sounds great though. Best part: I got it for 590 euros.

Compared to my Warwick Corvette with bubinga body, wenge neck and Basslines QP pickups (passive circuit) the Thumb sounds somewhat softer (in good way) and the sound is more dry. The 2-band EQ and MEC actives are pretty cool. The necks look similar, but the fretwork on Thumb is nicer, though i've banged the frets on 'Vette pretty hard during the years. Vette seems to weigh twice the Thumb, which is one of the lightest basses I've tried.

No more GAS now. For few days.

2. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    looks a lot like the thumb i was looking at, but then i got my sr5.

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Warwicks aren't my cup of tea but thats a very pretty bass indeed!

4. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Here's a picture of the 'Vette for you! Sorry about the edited backgrounds, my floor was messy :)

5. I love my Thumb bass. I also hate my Thumb bass.

It's like a woman! Can't live with it, can't live without it! :D

6. sputnik 5

sputnik 5

Jan 13, 2004
    Beautiful bass, congrats!!

7. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I'm pretty sure your thumb body is made of bubinga. I believe warwick weren't using ovangkol yet in '94...

8. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Thanks for the info! I was wondering about that myself. I even sent a mail to Warwick customer support considering the Thumb body wood and several other things (like replacement tuners for my Corvette and info about the recessed straplocks) but they didn't reply. Bad international customer service, though I've heard Dana B Goods and mr Dale Titus are very helpful (they provide support for American customers).

The grain on thumb is more yellowish-brown than I think bubinga should be, but on the other hand the body doesn't have the black-yellow stripes which are typical for ovangkol. The weight really surprised me, the bass is _very_ light where Corvette weighs a ton! When I picked the bass from post office I was afraid there's nothing inside the package!

9. I know that thumbs are very nice sounding/playing basses, but i just dont think i'll ever come to like that body style.

Congrats on the bass, man.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Yeah, thanks mate. My personal opinion about body styles is that it looks good only if it looks good when worn. Some really beautiful basses fail on this and some otherwise freaky looking ones look really good beside your hip.

For example I don't like colored flame/quilt tops because of this. But of course this is all subjective.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nice catch! ;)

But looking at the colour, I dont think it is bubinga. Bubinga is reddish brown, like your Corvette (or mine). But this Thumb looks more like a unique-grained ovangkol body - or maybe it was a custom order with a different wood? If so, it may be something like american walnut?

From the Wal site:

American Walnut

That is the most similar-looking wood I could find, but maybe it isnt it. Colour and grain variations happen sometimes.

BTW is your Corvette's body made of three pieces? Mine is almost exactly bookmatched two-piece

12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    very nice man. i've always liked the thumbs! is that a NT or BO?

13. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Nice bass man. I just got myself a Thumb fretless 5 string and its awesome.

14. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Yeah, that's a bolt-on version.

Mutant: Seems that you were right, I got info from other source as well that the body might be walnut. Sounds really great! I really prefer that wood to the bubinga.

My Corvette is made of three pieces.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Nice Bass.
    Played a friends Thumb 5 wide neck.
    On of the nices playing 5's out there.
    Loved the 20mm. spacing.
    Oh No I feel gas!!!!!!!

16. Nice one I've got a '95 looks exactly the same mines Ovankol with the wenge neck,don't have digital cam. to show it. you will enjoy it. cheers

17. I want a thumb bass! Until then,my 2 thumb finger things will have to do :p

18. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Maybe the body is bubinga and the color has lightened up, being exposed to sunlight or something like that...

19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Dude,

Nice bass. Amazing price! I've always liked Thumbs. Never owned one, but I tend to dink around with them whenever I go into a Guitar Center. Although now they have them way up on the wall, so youhave to actually ask someone to pull it down and listen to the sales drone :meh:

Enjoy it.

Peace,

James

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    GC? Well you wont get the Thumb-tone out of those basses there... Try one, that has proper strings, looked after for and cared for, and is well-set-up. Maybe then you will like them even more ;)